40 gallon newbie tank

Violent Pike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2008
Western New York
I am picking up a 40 gallon Friday for $30 from Craig's list complete with filter and lights and wanted to run a couple of stocking ideas by some more experienced people.
The first one has three fish species that i really like, Altolamprologus calvus (Black) Neolamprologus leleupi (Orange) and Neolamprologus buescheri. How many fish of each species could i get away with if at all possible?
The second has a mix of Lamprologus like brevis(2),stappersii(3),multifasciatus(3) and a Altolamprologus sp. Compressiceps Shell if I can find one. Would the tendency of these fish to stay near the botom make the top of my tank look bare and if so is there a mid/top water fish I could add that would go along with the rift lake and be able to cycle for me?

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
In #2 the top will be kinda bear, unless you have tons of shells. Then they will be out more

In 1, I would get a group of calvus, and do a pair of Lelepui. A would not buescheri, as I think they are more aggressive breeders than the other two. Still not anything that will take up the top level. Maybe add V. Moori to this list

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store