Live food for florida gar

meluvmeosky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
michigan
I was wondering why everyone is so down on feeding live foods? I've tried feeding live and well not alive foods and it just seems so much more natural for them to eat live foods. My florida gar loves live food and its awesome watching him eat. I gut load my fish at least an hour before feeding, and my fish are nice and healthy and growing fine. Does anyone else feel the same?

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I agree I want my Preditor tank to be just that. But i have read that those who are nonlive food feed are less agressive and so when it comes to cleaning your tanks and such its not a worry about getting bit. Funny tho I was showing someone a one eyed gar and it bit me lol. (not my gar). Personally I would rather see the natural order of things and see the fish eat its natural way.

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
its fun to throw in some feeders from time to time and watch my fish hunt. But i only do that once in awhile. most of the time they are fed prawns and beefheart. pellets. ect. feeders can carry disease and bacteria. feed your fish whatever you want to feed them. a larger variety of food is better though.

NORIEL168

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
FLORIDA
i used to have a florida gar that grew up to 16" from 4" in 8 mos. i fed him live nightcrawlers everyday injected with liquid fish vitamins ( a few drops only 3 times a week). i even gave him live rosy reds, as a treat, once every two weeks like about 20 pcs which he would consume in a day.

Fried_fish

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2005
VA/MD/DC Area
meluvmeosky said:
I was wondering why everyone is so down on feeding live foods? I've tried feeding live and well not alive foods and it just seems so much more natural for them to eat live foods. My florida gar loves live food and its awesome watching him eat. I gut load my fish at least an hour before feeding, and my fish are nice and healthy and growing fine. Does anyone else feel the same?
Everyone has their own way of raising their fish. I do think if you could minimize the live food it would be best. If you can quarantine the feeders for at least 48 hours with medicine before feeding then it should be fine. Just remember if you can't provide your fish a tank close the the size of their habitat than its never going to be "normal" for them so there's nothing wrong with feeding them non live food.

meluvmeosky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2006
michigan
I have had a feeder tank set up for quite some time now, and i always watch them for anything detramental to my fishes health. I also have a lima shovelnose that wont eat anything but live foods, believe me i've tried.

MrHarris

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
feeder tank
ive been feeding my 3 florida gars and clown knife only live foods since they were 3". The gars are 12-14" now and the knife is 21". all is healthy, but i do quarentine the feeders for like 48 hours. i have a separate feeder tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store