Starting an African Cichlid Tank

Horse Girl

Feeder Fish
Jan 4, 2008
Colorado
I just got a 90gal and I would like to start an African Cichlid tank. I have been looking at some African Cichlid and I know that some are from different lakes. Can you put them together or should you keep them from the same lakes? Also if there is any other important thing that I should know. I know about the water hardness and some are more aggressive then others. Or if there is any thing ells that I should know about them. I have a 39gal right now with all different fish in there but I think African cichlids are so cool that I would like to have a tank with just them.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
i moved it for you and also that will be a beautiful tank with africans.. look through all the different kinds and pick out what you like then we can discuss their personalities and whether they are compatable.. also whether you would like to breed or have an all male african set up since males are the ones with the awesome colors... :)

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
if u want color u can go for mbunas or peacocks. ;)

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
Horse Girl;2512616; said:
I just got a 90gal and I would like to start an African Cichlid tank. I have been looking at some African Cichlid and I know that some are from different lakes. Can you put them together or should you keep them from the same lakes? Also if there is any other important thing that I should know. I know about the water hardness and some are more aggressive then others. Or if there is any thing ells that I should know about them. I have a 39gal right now with all different fish in there but I think African cichlids are so cool that I would like to have a tank with just them.

its best imo to keep it to one lake, definitely research whatever species you choose before buying too

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
Horse Girl;2512616; said:

The general rule is yes, keep the lakes seperate. There are also three seperate types of lake malawi cichlids (mbuna, haps, and peacocks). Of the malawi types the haps and peacocks can go together in most cases unless the hap is highly aggressive and can get so big it will eat the smaller peacock. I mix haps and peacocks with no problems so far (about a year and half now). You will not want to put mbuna with anything but other mbuna though. Even when putting other mbuna together you will need to do your research very carefully of they will kill each other, certain species found in most LFS are really only safe kept with others of their kind (one male and 4 or 5 females). Most of the melanchromis species fall into that catagory. Both males and females are highly aggressive and will kill other more peaceful species. I know there are always exceptions to the rules but in general i find their dietary needs and tank setups are too differnt (they will spend 80-90 percent of their time living and defending their caves and most are vegitarians). A couple species such as the yellow labs and also the yellow tailed acei have been kept with peacocks with few problems since they are not as aggressive as other mbuna. Mbuna are HIGHLY aggressive cichlids compared to haps and peacocks and most new worlds. Hope this helps you out.

MoFish78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2008
Bay Area CaliFornia
i think i could tell the peacocks apart from other afr cichlids (because of their shape?) e.g. venustus? electric blue?...but what are the mbunas? is it the zebras? the most common afr cichlids? i just know mine are malawis bec thats what they're labeled as :)

i thought peacocks are victorians. its amazing how you guys know all the names and the scientific names etc...:headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store