Starting an African Cichlid Tank

Horse Girl

Feeder Fish
Jan 4, 2008
Colorado
I just got a 90gal and I would like to start an African Cichlid tank. I have been looking at some African Cichlid and I know that some are from different lakes. Can you put them together or should you keep them from the same lakes? Also if there is any other important thing that I should know. I know about the water hardness and some are more aggressive then others. Or if there is any thing ells that I should know about them. I have a 39gal right now with all different fish in there but I think African cichlids are so cool that I would like to have a tank with just them.

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
I personally wouldn't mix and match fish from different lakes. I'm sure most of the other Rift Lake fish keepers would agree. I'm not too sure about what is out there as far as Victorian cichlids. I personally keep mostly Malawi Haps and Peacocks. It's really up to you as to which fish you like the best. Mbunas from Malawi are pretty agressive but you can put a lot in a 90g and they have some nice colors. Tropheus from Tanganyika would do good on your tank too. Just find some fish you like and go from there.

Oh yeah, Welcome to MFK!!!

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
If you're going with haps, you might be able to keep some lamps (or even frontosa if the tank is large)

Natural_Born_Killer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2008
Netherlands
The ones that I like the most are the ones that come out of Lake Malawi. Very colourful and active looking fish. I have one pair in my tank at the moment, and looking to get a couple of more though I am rather in between American fish and African. Might try mixing them.

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I think first you need to pick one fish that you really like. Then from there, it's easier to plan tankmates for it. Do you want fewer, larger less agressive fish, or more smaller more aggressive fish? Malawi is like a rainbow...any color you choose.

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
If you want color then go with Malawis. If you want personality then go with Tanganyikan. JMO.....:grinno:

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
blkg35;2514022; said:
If you want color then go with Malawis. If you want personality then go with Tanganyikan. JMO.....:grinno:

Agreed. Malawi has some of the most beautiful fish on the planet...but Tangs seem to have the edge on behavior. Victorians are gorgeous as well, and behavior wise, tend to be like a less aggressive mbuna...at least most of them.

nuggets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2008
cichlid world
i have malawi tanks vicroian tanks and tang tanks and i also have tanks with all of them in it just depends on behavior and size when you mix but i can be done and its very attractive when done right

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
take some pics of lake specific tanks from som members here. that way u can see what fish go together and u can see what fish u like most. color wise malawi, but there are some central americans and such that have some stunning colors and patterns :)

Bre

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2007
Denver, CO
I also have a 90 gallon and I have fish from all 3 lakes. I know some don't like to do that but I think if done carefully it can work great. I keep my water so it is within everyones range. I researched all my fish looking for more easy going fish...I have a couple calvus/comps from Tanganyika, a pair of peacocks from Malawi, and 2 species from Victoria...All get along awesomely!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store