How to revive a dead fish. (shipping D.O.A.)

beantickler

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
~Pittsburgh~
This will explain how to attempt a revival of a fish that has been shipped and is DOA. Usually the fish is overnighted so if it is dead, it hasn't been for very long. Your chances are good for bringing it back from the dead!

First thing to do is to WASH YOUR HANDS!!! You will be handling your fish. Then, gather your supplies. You will need airline tubing, airpump, airstone, powerhead and a cup. Take the fish out of the shipping bag and place it in a big bowl or the styro it came in. Then pour all of the shipping water into whatever you are using. The first thing I would try is to take a decent length of airline tubing and place one end of it in a tank that is cycled. Suck on the airline to start the syphon. Hold your fish upright and place the outflow of water right at the fishes mouth, or if the fish is big enough, put the line directly in its mouth. Do this for 20-30 seconds at a time giving maybe 1-3 minute breaks in between. During the breaks you can let the water just fill the container the fish is in, but don't let the water level go much higher then the fishes body height. Use the cup to remove excess water. Also try running the water backwards through the backside of the gills.

This process could take hours. It depends on how bad you want it.(I spent at least 3 hours with mine)

While you are waiting for the few minute break to end, hook up the airpump and get an airstone in the container. Try and prop the fish upright against it so the air enters the gills as much as possible. After each attempt at running the water in its mouth, rest the fish against the airstone untill you are ready to push the water through the fishes gills again.

Another thing to do is to grasp your fish in your hand gently. Move the fish forward and backward to get water to pass through its gills. You can do this infront of the powerhead for a better result but it is not necessary.(I didn't use one)

When I first started running water in my fishes mouth I had no reaction for the first 45 minutes or so. I was persistant and it paid off for me. After the initial 45 minutes the fish took a gasp of air. Then maybe 10 minutes later it took another, and then the next may have been 8 or 9 minutes apart. The more I worked on the fish the shorter the spans were inbetween breaths. Finally the fish was taking breaths every 10-20 seconds or so but it was still on it's side. Durring the next 20-30 minutes the fish began trying to swim but would only move a little and eventually end up on it's side again. Just keep proping the fish back to its upright position until it can stay there on its own. Eventually the fish was breathing normal. Once the fish could stay upright and was swimming around the styro fine I gave it another hour and put him into his new tank.

I think the KEY to this is to stay calm and just try your best. I'm sure it won't work all the time but at least you will give your new pet a fighting chance with these few tips!

GOOD LUCK!!!

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
How many fish have you saved using this method?

HPIZZLE

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2007
jesus christ!!!
that is a modern day petsemetary. i wont try it.....

Gator

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
Ohio
sites.google.com
Is this like that kids movie The Princess Bride?

Miracle Max: Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
Inigo Montoya: What's that?
Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.

Seriously tho I'd also like to know how many fish you've saved like this?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
What fish did you accomplish this with?

Bllib

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2007
In a box of Pop Tarts!
Great suggestions!! I had a black arrow that came in DOA I tried to revive it for a while but certainly not 3 Hours!!!:WHOA: I guess next time I will be more persistent.

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
wow i found this quite entertaining and way too many steps as well.so i think you may have zombie fish now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store