New to keeping Dats

EVP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
CT
After many years in the hobby Dats have finally caught my eye. I would like to add one or a few to my 125g with 2 baby limas and a 5" oscar. My LHF has three about 3" each. Not sure on the species, I havent actually seen them yet. I wanted to know do they do better in groups? Im not sure if i wanna get all 3 or just one. I was thinking with 3 my oscar would be less likely to pick on either of them. Also is there any difference (besides appearance) between the species? If there is anything you think I should know about keep Dats please feel free to clue me in. Thanks guys!

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
They can be good in groups...6 would be a good number, IMO. They tend to be aggressive with each other, but if you get a group, it'll spread the aggression out. They grow really slow, so putting them with an Oscar might be a no go. The AT comes from brackish waters and the NGT is the most aggressive (from what I heard).

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
Good choice my dat pulcher is the best fish ive ever kept! They are amazing fish to keep. Better single if you havnt got room or funds for 4 or more.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
EVP;2518338; said:
Also is there any difference (besides appearance) between the species?

Yes, AT and NGT both can be found in brackish waters in the wild, but can do fine in fresh. Other 3 species are full fresh.

Aggression will vary with species. NGT being the most aggressive and NTT being the most timid.

Different species are harder to get off live foods. NGT is usually the hardest.

Growth rate is different amoung the species as well. Many people say Indo is the fastest, while AT/NTT are on the slower side.

EVP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
CT
thanks for the responses guys. hmm now im thinking i should go for a single one that is bigger than what my LFS has.:confused: what to do...what to do

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
TCZeli;2518827; said:
Yes, AT and NGT both can be found in brackish waters in the wild, but can do fine in fresh. Other 3 species are full fresh.

Aggression will vary with species. NGT being the most aggressive and NTT being the most timid.

Different species are harder to get off live foods. NGT is usually the hardest.

Growth rate is different amoung the species as well. Many people say Indo is the fastest, while AT/NTT are on the slower side.
:iagree: a lot of people forget that NGT's come from brackish waters as well.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
TCZ hit it right on, although the AT I have has grown the fastest out of mine, but I only have a limited sample size of fish and time....

the more the merrier :D

usually having 2 isn't a good idea, but I had an NTT and AT together at about 6" each and they were perfectly fine.

if they have them in brackish, I would drip-acclimate them, but any species will do just fine in full fresh.

a picture would be nice...

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
pwmin;2522010; said:
TCZ hit it right on, although the AT I have has grown the fastest out of mine,

Yea, the fastest growth rate I have seen was actually an NTT. Guess not all Dats play by the rules.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store