what size do Dats stop hiding

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
In my 100G I have a 7" AT, 5" It, 4" IT and 3" NGT. There is also a Nandud nandus, Malabar Leaffish and 10" polypterus (Delhezi and Buettikoferi). Filtered by FX5 and HOB and single T8 tube.

As soon as I turn the light on the Dats hide-the AT just sits on the bottom in a corner and doesn't move. I''ve had the NGT a month now and it stays behind the heater guard the whole time. Its totally black and you virtually can't see it. I've never seen it feed once.The 2 IT's stay behind the FX5 inlets and are black.

There are 2 larger pieces of wood with Java fern and light coloured sand.
Sometimes when I feed them they don't move at all and if/when they do feed they dart out and grab the food and then go back to thier normal unstable colour. With the lights off they come and are stable (except the NGT which doesn't move at all) but are still very skittish.

I know in general Dats when smaller are thought to be more timid but its driving me mad because I don't see the point in keeping fish you can't see. Tried removing all the wood but they don't change. IF they get bolder/braver what size does this occur at if at all? I'm really close to getting rid of them-they're the most frustrating and timid fish I've evere kept
ROB

Bichir4Life

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2008
Canada
There afraid of the light, no size will make them less skittish towards it only time itself.

Heyitsduy42

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
SoCal 818 / OC 949
I know what you mean man. Isnt if fustrating? I sold many of my Dats for that reason.

I only success I've had keeping Dats is in my 180. For some reason, the alway stable up in that tank. Whether its a small 3" IT or huge dats. I have no idea why.

I've also noticed they do better in light background tanks. The darker the background the darker they are.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
While size does play apart, other factors will determine when/if they come out also.

Individuals personality
Lighting
Tank mates
Water quality
Decor
etc...

My NTT did not start coming out regularly until the 7-8" if that helps at all.

Dats are fish that require alot of patients. They may take a long time to get comfortable and come out, get stable, get off live foods, and to grow. Dat's aren't the best choice for everyone.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
Heyitsduy42;2518834; said:
I know what you mean man. Isnt if fustrating? I sold many of my Dats for that reason.

I only success I've had keeping Dats is in my 180. For some reason, the alway stable up in that tank. Whether its a small 3" IT or huge dats. I have no idea why.

I've also noticed they do better in light background tanks. The darker the background the darker they are.

Typical-my bloody backgrounds black! I know they take time but its been like this for months now...can't get them to grow well because they crap themself when the lights on. They'll feed with no kights (just room light) but don't want them to get used to this as I'll never get them out in the light. I am a patient man but its embarrassing when people come round and ask if theres fish in the tank:irked::irked::irked:

Heyitsduy42

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
SoCal 818 / OC 949
berserker;2518923; said:
Typical-my bloody backgrounds black! I know they take time but its been like this for months now...can't get them to grow well because they crap themself when the lights on. They'll feed with no kights (just room light) but don't want them to get used to this as I'll never get them out in the light. I am a patient man but its embarrassing when people come round and ask if theres fish in the tank:irked::irked::irked:

My buddies would come over and check out my tank and they alway ask why do you like those things? They are always dark and likes to hide. All I can say is: Wait until you see them at their best.

Now that my Dats are stable, they can see why I like them so much. Dont give up man. Once they stable up, they're are great fish.

Are you able to change the background? Try blue and see if that'll work help. I've also read somewhere that if you keep the decoration to a minimum, they won't have a place to hide and have to come out.

sudi817

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2008
Toronto
I first had a black background. It was beautiful and my tank looked sophisticated with it but most of my dats even my pulcher turned dark brown to black. I tried it for a month and hoped that they'll become stable but it was not successful. Then I changed the background to blue and with-in a week most of them became more stable. The blue background might have helped them feel more comfortable and relaxed.

robroy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
BC, Canada
As much of a pain as it is I'll try to change the background. I've tried removing everything in the tank but they still hid by the heater and filter pipes. I'm prepared to wait-just very p....d off this past week with them especially how good other peoples are on here. Thanks for the advive everyone;)

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I have found the more there are the better they are also the bigger the tank the better.

Datnoid101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Off the deep end
tigercraze.com
Once again, Dats will hide because of their basic animal instincts as a ambush fish. Try keeping the lights on more and adding fish that constantly swim around like an arowana etc. Even at larger sizes, dats will hide if they are uncomfortable. Take more time to look at your fish. As soon as I get near my tank, my dats are glued to the glass looking at me. LOL!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store