Male not coloring up anymore

nicksdsm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
Annapolis, Maryland
I have a unknown zebra that is about 2 years old. He is the dominate male in my 75g but ever since my tank got sick about 3 months ago and I lost 20 fish, he's stopped coloring up. I don't know what illness the tank got. Ick treatment did not do anything so I turned up the temp and added a lot of salt to the tank and all the fish got better immediately. The fish that I lost did not look sick. The ones that looked like there were going to die, lived. He still colors up when he gets mad from time to time but then looses it.
He's gone from the first pic below to a completely purple color like the last pic. What could be the problem?

Colored Up: Fish turning

After tank got sick: Fish on the bottom

DragonKeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2007
Marengo Illinois
Did he have females in the original stock setup? If the females were lost to "The Sickness" he has nothing to show off to. Males show off there best colors with the girls are around or they are defending territory.

He doesn't look at all sick or stressed in the second pic so I would say that he is fine, maybe a little bored!

Keeper

nicksdsm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2008
Annapolis, Maryland
He never had any females because I don't know what exactly what he is. The only difference I can see is he's grown, 4inch in the first pic, 6-7inch the second.

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
well some fish lose color with growth and age. it might hes entering adult hood and the colors before were his juvenile colors. happens to alot of fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store