Labidochromis Caeruleus with kyoga flamebacks

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Just wanting to know opinions out there. I would love to add some color to my tank and I just saw some F2 1" juvenile yellow labs on the stock list of californiacichlids for $3 each which is a very good price. I think this a a very good opportunity for me to add some color and spunk to make the tank look more colorful. (My family loves colorful tanks) I will try to get 6 of them and grow them out with my juvie kyogas. How do you think they will do with each other? Being that they are one of the most peaceful mbuna, I'm thinking they should do fine and they also require very similar dietary habits as the kyogas. Any opinions and advice are welcomed. :)

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
i havent mixed anything with my kyogas personally but ive actually been thinking of adding an adult pair of labs i have to my kyoga tank, i think it will be fine, but they could still hybridize

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
mahemaheman85;2524490; said:
i havent mixed anything with my kyogas personally but ive actually been thinking of adding an adult pair of labs i have to my kyoga tank, i think it will be fine, but they could still hybridize
Yes, I am aware of hybridization. If anything like that occurs, all fry will be culled immediately. I will just have to keep an eye on them. Besides, I have long ways before my kyogas will start breeding. Thanks for your reply. ;) I love yellow labs for their bright yellow, their peaceful behavior, and how both male and female have color regardless of gender.

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I am using juvenile Yellow labs and Rusties as dithers for my juvenile P. Chromogynos, and no problems there. The Chromos are similar in temperment to the Kyoga Flamebacks, so I wouldnt see a problem with adding them to your tank.

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
tydus;2524526; said:
Yes, I am aware of hybridization. If anything like that occurs, all fry will be culled immediately. I will just have to keep an eye on them. Besides, I have long ways before my kyogas will start breeding. Thanks for your reply. ;) I love yellow labs for their bright yellow, their peaceful behavior, and how both male and female have color regardless of gender.

ya i got a thing for labs too, my female adult just spit like 30+ babys

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
mahemaheman85;2524768; said:
ya i got a thing for labs too, my female adult just spit like 30+ babys
I've always had a thing for yellow labs as well. I just wanted to make sure the yellow labs I were getting came from a good strain. Some of the yellow labs out there come from over bred polluted genes, so I wanted to make sure the strain I am getting are from a quality line. The yellow labs come from F1 parents, so that makes me satisfied. Congrats with the fry, good luck with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store