Help stocking my tank.

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
**I posted this in the aro section but wanted the help of the datnoid guys too**

Hey guys! I haven't been back on this forums since my 30" black aro jumped out of my tank. We'll I've decided to start again and have recently set up my 75g as a temporary tank.

The fish I'm interested in are: An arowana, a ray, and datnoids.

Not sure if this is the right section to post this question but I was wondering if this combo would work out okay: jardini, a ray or two (motoro or leopoldi), and a datnoid or two.

I know jardinis can get aggressive but I planned on adding the jardini last in an effort to maybe prevent too much aggression. I don't want to get a silver or a black again because I feel they get too big and a tank smaller than 400g would be torturing them.

I also know that NGT Datnoids are also very aggressve, especially to each other, but how are they to other fish?

Will the rays be alright?

My previous set up was: a black arowana, a reticulated ray, a hystrix ray, a TSN, and a red tailed cat. So I have some experience with these fish, but after my black aro died the tanks just went downhill.

I planned on stocking them in this order:
1-two NGTs first (since I heard they grow the slowest and there are two for sale at my LFS)
2-a ray or two
3- jardini

Suggestions? comments? Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to give me!

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
what size is the tank ?

must be very big if you had RTC and TSN

i wouldnt put 2 x NGT in the same tank they will kill each other

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
Yeah, I just did some more reading and seems like if I want multiple dat's I should go with four or more?

The tank was a 120g, they weren't that big yet and planned on getting a bigger tank till stuff started going down hill.

As with this set up. I plan on gettin a tank of atleast 300g within the next two years.

TCZeli

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
NJ
4+ Dats would be better then 2, if you want all the same species. If you are set on 2, you can try 2 different species of Dats. Dats are less aggressive with other species of Dats then they are with there own kind.

T1k is right, 2 NGT is nearly impossible.

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
ado124;2525594; said:
Yeah, I just did some more reading and seems like if I want multiple dat's I should go with four or more?

The tank was a 120g, they weren't that big yet and planned on getting a bigger tank till stuff started going down hill.

As with this set up. I plan on gettin a tank of atleast 300g within the next two years.
if you want to start with those 3 fish I would recommend using the 120 as your grow out. And a 30" aro in a 120 no wonder he jumped out.

As stated 1 NGT is fine but they dont like their own kind so 2 is a no go.

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for the replies! My aro seemed fine but yeah, I don't plan on getting another S.A. aro as they get too big too fast.

Anyways, thanks again for the replies. So a single NGT should be fine with the rays and jardini?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
other tigers are fine in groups

its NGT that hate each other most even with 5 or 6 NGT you will still have problems

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
ado124;2526278; said:
Thanks for the replies! My aro seemed fine but yeah, I don't plan on getting another S.A. aro as they get too big too fast.

Anyways, thanks again for the replies. So a single NGT should be fine with the rays and jardini?
Jardinis are known tankmate killers and best to be kept solo, read this thread:
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23838

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store