Fuzzy dwarf lion won't eat.

>:(

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
I recently picked up a super red fuzzy dwarf lionfish for my 55 gallon reef (I don't keep any shrimp). He had been eating well at the store and they let me see him eat a piece of dried krill.

He was an eager eater. He even let me handfeed him. He would get excited when he saw me and swim over to the glass and such. But a few days ago during a water change, I lifted a rock and he popped out from under it with a "WTF" kind of look, but I know I didn't injure him. He won't eat anymore, though.

He'll swim over to the food I'm holding, look at it and then swim away. I tried giving it by (gloved) hand, wiggling it with long tweezers, just letting it float around. He shows interest, but never eats anything. Tried live ghosties, frozen and freeze drid krill, flakes and pellets. It's been five days, which isn't long but he had been eating daily.

Could it be he's not hungry? His tummy isn't sunken, but I'm not missing any crabs or snails, so he's not eating. Other fish (bnw false perc) is eating fine.

skene

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
NYC
Try raising the heat a bit, and maybe dip the food into some garlic. It should help a bit with getting them hungry. Just don't give up immediately. Also may want to try putting some guppies into the water.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Why didn't I think of garlic? Thanks, I'll try your ideas and then update.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
give the fish some time. Depending on how long you have had this fish, they will not always eat right away. Pay close attention to what your feeding as well. Certain foods are not the best to get a fish eating. Live foods are sometimes required. Saltwater live feeding food is the best. Its best to avoid feeding saltwater preds, a freshwater pred diet. Being they originate from different waters, they will have different requirements. Certain fish are better then others for feeding so do some research. Pred pellates, beef heart, chunks of squid, fish meat, saltwater feeder shrimp and even silver sides when they fish gets large are the best foods to look at. There are others but i cant come up with all of them lol.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
I've had him a little over a month. This is the first week he hasn't been eating anything. He took to eating right away, like the first day. I did give him some ghost shrimp when I first got him to help him some.

I forgot to say but I also feed formula one and two, beef heart and blood worms on occasion. I'll get a few different pellets and some fish fillets and try to wean him onto those from live feeders. Squid's a bit hard to find out here lol. No calamari dinners for him.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
every now and then they will stop taking food for a period of time. How long has it been since he last had a meal?? for some fish, this is a normal occurance.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
It's been six or seven days since he's eaten last. Yesterday, I tried to give him some whiite fish (cod I think) rubbed with a little garlic. He looked at it, then turned his nose up.

I'm going to pick up more ghost shrimp today and hope he eats them. I hope he's just doing like you said and going through a phase.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Elsinore
Sorry for the double post, but I did get him to eat some ghost shrimp today. I guess he just decided he didn't want to eat anything that wasn't live anymore. I wonder why he suddenly changed his mind... Oh well, at least he's eating something now.

skene

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
NYC
You do have to switch it up a bit. I had a dwarf and he just was such a picky eater. Would not eat any pellets but guppies he didn't mind. Caught bloat and died.
I want another for my FO tank.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
other reasons behind switching the foods is becasue one source of food is never a balanced nutrition load. Feeders for some fish are all they need but its what the feeders take in that the larger pred will get other nutrients from. Its all the food chain.

many fish will go a few weeks without food and still live. Its that reason why id strongly suggest holding off on the live foods for a while, and wean him onto frozen, dry foods. After he starts eating these items, slowly introduce live foods again, but only 1 to 2 times a month. Any more then that and you risk starting this feeding habit again, which is just more work on your part to break. Again Saltwater feeders for Saltwater fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store