Tankmates for a Dat

cbbuff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2008
Boulder, CO
I had a Dat in college for about 8 years and loved that guy. There are no dats in Colorado, but I think I have tracked one down.

I have a planted 75G, fluval 404 can. Compact Florecent lights.

I am thinking a NTT (3-4") , an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey (2") and a pleco. I'm thinking about either a couple of clown loaches or a clown knife. Here are my questions:

1. Will the EBJD and the Dat be a problem together? I expect the JD to grow more quickly than the Dat. One answer is to get 2 dats and forget the JD, but my wife would like variety.

2. Clown Loaches vs. Knife. Any reason for 1 vs the other in terms of requirements, behavior. It seems people successfully keep both with their Dats.

3. Is this too much in the tank ,and how long before I will need a larger tank?

Thanks in advance for the Noobish questions. I can't wait for my new Dat!!!

aspear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
cache valley, utah
the JD might beat on the dat.
the nfe will outgrow your tank very fast.
in that tank i would do the dt, smaller poly's, loaches would probably work, maybe a pleco

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
All those fish grows pretty slow except for the Clown Knife. Go with a Black Ghost Knife instead, since they grow slow as well and a 75g would be fine for a BGK as well.

neurospeed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2008
Hawaii
I would go with 2 dats, NTT and indo (there's the variety. lol), and go with clown loaches. Or go with one dat and maybe 5 clown loaches. 2 dats together may not work. The dats may chase eachother around, but they won't kill eachother. The knife may also nip at your dats fins, so I wouldn't get that. As far as the EBJD, I've never owned one so idk, but I hear they're aggressive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store