school me on severums

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
they seem like a more natural alternative to parrot cichlids. inquisitive and playful unlike the smaller cichlid species...yet not too large...

what is the smallest tankmate they can have without eating. (ex. tiger barbs?)

i read that you either keep a pair...or in a group setting minimum 6. does anyone have experience in keeping them in groups?

i already have an old 7 year old parrot cichlid i cant get rid of (not that i want to)...and i wanted more to fill my tank in.

how are severums with angelfish?

how destructive on a scale of 1-10 (10 being highest) would you say they are to plants?

Bobears

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Hoovering south of the ham
No neons, glowlights...ect. I have corys and some red-eyed tetra with mine, no problem.

As far as how many? Never heard of severums being schooling or shoaling fish at all. One is fine.

I have kept angels with severum with no problem.

Plants are another matter. Mine always liked plants and it was very hard to keep them, even java fern and aniubus. Rating, maybe a 7.

Just remember all fish are individuals, and while I have had no real aggression problems, you may. Severums are wonderful, good luck.

Marc280106

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2007
Australia
Infact Sevy's are also a relatively large growing specie, potentially reaching sizes of up to 12". I would confidently consider them amoung the lesser aggressive S/A specie, therefore almost any moderately sized/peaceful cichlid and/or dither fishes will co-exist with lttle - no territorial issue's. They are also up there with the best of personable cichlid's, being highly responsive aswell as interactive.

Being an omnivorous, even swaying toward's an herbivorous specie, live plant's will only end up becoming a lfair portion of their diet. Best consider silk if foliage is to be part of your intended aquascape.

thatcichlidguy

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2008
Wichita Falls Tx
My Sevs find most dithers I try to keep with them delicious.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
My breeding pair of gold sevs is with my loaches and angelfish. No issues so far. I wouldn't mix the sevs with tiger barbs. Barbs are too feisty. Try arulius barbs. As far as plants, those will be destroyed. You can try hornworts, anubias, Java moss and Java ferns though.

svtim

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2008
The VILLE
I have kept sevs wit jd's oscars and convicts they will hold there own if threated but are really one the more peacefull cichlids

hairdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
norfolk, ne
have kept them before with rosy barbs never had problem

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store