220 Gallon Reborn

parrthed

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
Charlestown
My 220 has been rather bland since I took out my mbuna about 6 months ago. I replaced them with 75 2-4" peacocks. I just finally got around to aquascaping the tank. I cut milk crates in half and used them as supports for the rocks to reduce weight and give me good flow behind the rocks. Sorry for the slightly foggy water, Just rescaped last night.

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 021.jpg

Picture 022.jpg

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
Sah-weet.....:thumbsup:
Love the setup and rocks. The gray rocks work really well with the black back.

Will Hayward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
Canada
www.alternativeaquariums.com
Awesome. I have a very similar looking frontosa tank. Grey rocks and white sand also. I'ts monotone but the fish look both natural and super vivid in it. I am considering changing to black sand instead to make the white on the Frontosa pop more, and th edark banding to look darker. Mine is also a 220gal. How many pounds of rock and sand did you put in?

Those Peacocks look great. Some very nice Orange Blotches there. Put up more picks when the water has been polished.

parrthed

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
Charlestown
Thanks for the replies,
I used 200 lbs of silica pool filter sand. The rocks are just, I guess you would call drainage rocks?. There is a large quarry by my house. The rocks are the ones that they put under overpasses and in drainage ditches. I liked the irregular shape and sizes. I actually used a black milkcrate that I cut in half as the base and built the rockscape around them. This gave the fish more room behind the rocks and gives me good flow behind the rocks. As far as poundage on the rocks I honestly don't know exactly. I just bought it all for $20. I will say it is alot.

As for lighting I used two 4ft shop lights with 2 marineglo and 2 powerglo bulbs. The lights are pulled all the way to the front to darken the back and give the illusion of more depth. Also it hides the corner overflows better against the black background.

Thanks

Brian

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
That really is an amazing tank and a brilliant idea with the milk crates the aquascapeing is impressive youve done a really good job!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store