FRONTOSA?

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
MoFish78;2540055; said:
Bought a fish that's labeled by my LFS as frontosa.

Was looking at this site and found this picture that's very identical to my fish.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1639

mine does that to its fins almost 24-7

i guess i got a fake frontosa eh? :crazy:
Yeah I almost made the same mistake the other day. Amazing really cause I was looking at the one you got and was like wow yellow in the eyes for a Front?? COOL!!! Then the lady at the PS told me it wasn't a Front.. Its exactly what you have in the link you posted.

Not a Frontosa but I do think the one you have is very cool! Keep him and go back and grab a Front too!! LOL

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Easy mistake...

They are also known as False Front or Poor mans Front, but the price for them buy me reflects nothing poor about them.

Watch him as he gets older. They have been known to have a nasty streak. What are his tankmates?

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
Wow, sorry that happened, i would have been super pissed. I would put them in a bucket and bring them back to the store for a refund. Maybe print off that profile page as proof. Im sure a frontosa should have been MUCH more expensive than that fish. I have seen that fish listed for between 5 and 10 bucks each depending on age. It was dishonest at worst and ignorant at best i would not pay for them or keep them unless they have really grown on you and if thats the case i would still see about getting a refund of the price difference. OH, and dont mix a real front with this fish, it will nip the fronts fins bad and is a egg or fry theif i think.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I actually passed up on a chance to buy some at lfs the other day, they were $9.99 so definitely more inexpensive than fronts

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
Yep, yours is a burundi frontosa. Nice looking little guy.....:grinno:

kay-bee

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Tampa, FL
One significant difference is that with trets the dorsal fins starts on the white stripe, while with frontosas the dorsal originates on the black stripe.

However, as you become more familiar with either species, they're very easy to differentiate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store