calvus swim bladder issues

geobal

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2007
st. louis
Anyone ever have a calvus with swim bladder issues. Mine up to a week ago would swim around the tank as normal. Now he hops along the bottom of the tank or just props up on rocks. when feeding time comes he will swim up to get the food, but you can tell it is the excessive work of his beating fins that is bringing him up. Its hard to describe the difference but when I compare him when he is swimming to the other calvus, he is beating his pectoral fins 2-3 times as fast to stay up in the water and when he stops he sinks back down.

Other then that though he appears to be in good health no discolorations, clamped fins, eats regularly.

Anyone have any ideas if I should be concerned?

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Yes, this is something to be concerned with. I have successfully treated swim bladder problems by isolating the fish, and adding frozen mashed peas to the water. The fish doesn't have to eat them, but the enzymes in the water seem to help. I'm sure there are other treatments that might work...but this worked for me in the past.

African Freak

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Sydney Australia
Hey I have exactly the same problem with a comp. evrything was fine, then one day the same started happening. its now been more than a month. he still looks totally healthy but just always sinks. Ive tried some epsom salts but so far its the same. If you find out what the cause/cure is please let me know also!

blkg35

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2008
homeless.......
Try using the salt treatment. Use aquarium salt 1tbsp/10gal and raise the temp to 80deg. Treat for 3 days and do a 30% water change after the 3rd day. Repeat again if necessary. You can use table salt w/no iodine also.

junglej

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2007
appleton,wi
I kinda have the opposite broblem, whenever i feed flakes they struggle to sink, they swim hard twards the bottom until air bubbles come out of their gills. not sure if that is the same as your issue, probobly not

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store