bloody nose Gar

marscortes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2006
Fiji
Hey guys. I transferd by 10" gar to a 100gl about 1 month ago. Water params are perfect.

Heres the problem he swims to the sides of the tank and puts his nose right on the arylic and swims up and down rubbing his nose up and down. This caused some sort of bruising and redness/tenderness on the front of his nose. I added salt for the wounds and upped the temp for infections to come. I dont know why he is doing that, and dosent that hurt him? You would think he would stop if it hurts and it should since his snout is all red and bruised . please help and sorry for any misspelled words.

tanks mates:

6" Tiger shovel nose

7" Clown Knife

5" Thin Bar Dat

2x 6" Walking Cats

thanks in advanced guys. really appriciate you suggestions.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
marscortes;2542698; said:
Hey guys. I transferd by 10" gar to a 100gl about 1 month ago. Water params are perfect.

Heres the problem he swims to the sides of the tank and puts his nose right on the arylic and swims up and down rubbing his nose up and down. This caused some sort of bruising and redness/tenderness on the front of his nose. I added salt for the wounds and upped the temp for infections to come. I dont know why he is doing that, and dosent that hurt him? You would think he would stop if it hurts and it should since his snout is all red and bruised . please help and sorry for any misspelled words.

tanks mates:

6" Tiger shovel nose

7" Clown Knife

5" Thin Bar Dat

2x 6" Walking Cats

thanks in advanced guys. really appriciate you suggestions.
this happens when the fish is stressed, usually due to water parameters. can we have exact readings? also, do you notice any obvious bullying among tankmates? esp in regards to the gar. are there any hiding spots or is the tank bare?

BIGtyme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2008
Michigan
sounds wierd, my oscar did that for a while tho when i first put him in his tank, he's probably just stressed out

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH

marscortes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2006
Fiji
demjor19;2544713; said:
Does it resemble this?

http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/KaraJ0/Monster Fish/?action=view&current=Picture144.flv

This was taken of my oldest Florida gar back when I still used feeders. He did this for over a year and I never did find the reason for it. Eventually he just stopped doing it and has been perfect ever since. Hopefully your fish gets through it without breaking its back.

oh man. thats it! same thing bro. Ive had him for 3 years now. its on and off. I keep the 100gl outside. Could it be the cold weather? I have 3 heaters in there right now because of the cold weather and rain here in socal.

cold weather = 5 to 8 degree F water temp change every day. This could be it.

marscortes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 4, 2006
Fiji
xander13;2544393; said:
this happens when the fish is stressed, usually due to water parameters. can we have exact readings? also, do you notice any obvious bullying among tankmates? esp in regards to the gar. are there any hiding spots or is the tank bare?
When hes on the sand relaxing the paired walking cats would swim under him and kinda bother him. Could this be a possible stress? The pairs are 6"

lordofthejewsjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
thats a good question
i live in socal too and its raining like crazy. my house is coldish. should i raise the temp. on mine?
your gar will eventually stop. mine used to do the same thing but then he stopped.

pedro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
philippines
this is what what my spotted gar was doing when i had just moved him to the main tank -- he used to do this a lot, but not as much now...is this stress behavior?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store