My gars feeder guppys have babies,lol!

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
My still 8.75 inch florida gar is in his own tank with just his feeders and a bristle nose and two small frogs, i put in 12 guppys 3 weeks ago and there are still 3 left and when i checked to see if he had eaten any today,which he had not, i noticed some baby guppys swimming about lol hes useless!
And this is after anti biotics from the vet and putting salt in as advised,he looks very healthy but hes just useless at catching them,im fed up with him now,i dont know what to do with him as i havent got the room to keep him in his own tank forever and he cant go in the big tank as he wouldnt last two minutes,and he cant go in the poly tank as thats where i took him out of because the 5 inch ornate had nipped all his fins and now there are 4 polys in there. And he cant go in the discus tank as when i had to put him in there for a few hours in an emergency the damn smallest 3 inch discus kept trying to nip him and i had to take him out,hes the most useless predator ive ever seen lol! I may take him back to wharf to see if they can house him or may sell him if anyone wants such a stupid fish,ive tried everything else and ive had him for a year nearly and hes grown 2.75 inches,and im not going to go over everything thats been said before about try this and try that,because ive already tried,just needed to vent!

Cheers steve

bfhslilred93

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2008
new england
you should be happy. he lets them regenerate because he knows you don't want to spend the money on food!!!

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Yeh more food he wont eat!
Hes actually swam up to the guppy and sort of pinned it to the glass with the end of his snout by its tail,then the guppy got bored of not being able to move its tail and swam off! Hes done this quite a few times,im getting rid.
Anyone know where i can get a gar that works properly lol!

Cheers steve

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
its not a stupid fish.
its just the way it works...
whatever you do...good luck.
and BTW,they are very efficient predators in the right setting.

djoverdose

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2008
Manila Philippines
spwd,

hey.... i also have 2 spotted/florida gars right now... bought them almost 2months ago.... they where only 6.5" when i got them but right now they are approximately 9-10". yup i do agree sometimes they are boring to watch specially when you just purchased feeders... you want to watch them feeding but to your dismay they dont chase them.... often times they will just stalk and not eat it.... i notice this behavior every time they are full.... btw i usually handfed them w/ MP and Chicken heart. maybe the reason your gar is like that because he has an abudant food source.... coz like what i said sometimes when i buy feeders for them they will just eat atleast 2 2" long goldies afterwards they will just lay on the bottom or top of the tank motionless... they become lazy swimmers.... so right now what i do was i starve them for atleast a day.... then just feed them every morning.... so that they will not be too full!

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Hi channarox, i know very well how efficient a predator they can be,thats why i bought him,the reason i call him stupid is because hes very slow at trying to catch them,he does try,but hes just crap at it,by the time he gets into position the guppys have swam to the opposite end of the tank,and this happens all the time,i mean 10 guppys in whats probably 4 weeks and he has not eaten anything else,but im not getting started on his diet,if you want to know about that look in my other posts
In answer to dj, it certainly is not anything to do with too much food or that there is plenty of it available, because he doesnt eat it and ive never seen him full except when i give him blood worm,which i dont anymore to get him to eat the feeders
And i never said they were boring at all im just fed up with him not growing or eating something other than blood worm .As for hand feeding,no chance,i can put my hand in and pick him up and hes fine but if i put food in he swims off like its the scariest thing in the world!
Ive spent alot of money on my gar but there has to be a limit,i could have bought another 3 or 4 gars for what ive spent but he just will not grow and i cant keep him at this size forever, i was trying to grow him up to put in the big tank but thats never going to happen,so im going to sell him or trade for a proper one,i hope.
Thanks for all the advice people have given me on my gar,i really appreciate it but this was the last straw.

Cheers steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store