Quick Help!!!

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
My 13in florida gar has little white spots on his eyes and only eyes. They are like little white squigalys things. Any tips? Or any Idea on what this is?
Cant get any pics because they dont show up on the picture.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Are the eyes clouded at all? How big are these spots?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
is it air bubbles in the eye lense?

Without pix it is diffficult

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
they are very small
just appered today
no cloudyness at all, just these small lines. Some are pin head sized otheres are twice that. Only 4 or 5 on one eye 2 or 3 on the other

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
oh and on a side note after noticing this today, i deciced (yes i know good choise, but i dont want to) to put hiim on prepared foods. When I try pellets, he ignores them. When I try cut shrimp, first piece he watched and nudged when it hit the bottom. next few he ignored. He wont take any. Please help with this matter too, Obviously the eye thing first. Ive only read about dieses on gars never had any.
Now for some info that might help some.
1 No tank mates at all
2 he is in a grow out tank (39g)
3 125g is in the works untill I get my pond(1 year hopefully)
4 ammonia spike 2 weeks ago constituted a 50% water change(no clue were it came from)
5 ammonia has been nutrilized
6 pH is kind of low 6.6, slowly being raised
7 temp is 82
8 everything else is fine water wise

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2557724; said:
oh and on a side note after noticing this today, i deciced (yes i know good choise, but i dont want to) to put hiim on prepared foods. When I try pellets, he ignores them. When I try cut shrimp, first piece he watched and nudged when it hit the bottom. next few he ignored. He wont take any. Please help with this matter too, Obviously the eye thing first. Ive only read about dieses on gars never had any.
Now for some info that might help some.
1 No tank mates at all
2 he is in a grow out tank (39g)
3 125g is in the works untill I get my pond(1 year hopefully)
4 ammonia spike 2 weeks ago constituted a 50% water change(no clue were it came from)
5 ammonia has been nutrilized
6 pH is kind of low 6.6, slowly being raised
7 temp is 82
8 everything else is fine water wise
two things:

first off, with the prepared foods issue, this has come up a thousand times on this forum, so do some digging and you'll find pieces of good info amongst the GARbage posts and you can put together a good method. OR you can check out a dedicated thread myself and others already wrote as well...either way, this info is all over the place, so asking for it in a specific thread is just a waste of everyone else's time when it could be found via search. just pointing this out for reference for everyone. here is the thread:

http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=667

secondly, for your gar's eye problem...if it's indeed parasites then it most likely came from your steady diet of feeders...not much to say other than several threads on this forum 'told you so' regarding feeders.

not worth using meds right now since we don't know exactly what the problem is. increase your water change frequency and volume...go 2x a week at 50% water change and do this until conditions improve.

what is your reqular water change schedule and what kind of filtration do you have? you should not be dealing with ammo spikes at this point, so keep testing, at least once a week if not 2x. hopefully the gar's eye issue will work out on its own.

good luck--
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
yeah yeah yeah
I knew id get a told ya so
thanks for the help
As for ammonia spike I have no clue why
water changes for his tank is 10% a month sometimes more often

Gator

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
Ohio
sites.google.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2558957; said:
yeah yeah yeah
thanks for the help
10% a month thats what 4gal a month your changing? You might as well not do any and just top off evaporated water :screwy:. 25% a week minimum especially a 13" fish in a 39G. He doesn't need a grow out tank anymore he needs to be put in a larger tank. No wonder your having ammonia spikes. Do you vac the gravel with the 10% water changes? Your PH problems are also due to the fact that your only doing a 10% water change. As his waste sits in the bottom of the tank and decays it will drop the PH and overload your obviously insufficient filtration, so what you basically have is a bunch of crap sitting in the bottom of the tank with no more bio surface area for BB to colonize and convert the ammonia. I'd also be interested to see what your Nitrates are. I'm guessing 80ppm+ To fix this you need to put him in a bigger tank, do 25% weekly water changes along with vacuuming the gravel and read up on switching him off feeders. This is all BASIC FISH KEEPING knowledge :irked:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2558957; said:
yeah yeah yeah
thanks for the help
i agree with the post right after yours...your water changes are insufficient to say the least.

if you can't get him into the bigger tank now, at least bump up the water changes...i would say 50% every week until you get him into the new tank. 10% water change every month is unacceptable for a fish like this, particularly kept in an environment such as yours. water changes will solve the majority of your problems. if you have other predatory fishes and are doing the same water change schedule, i would test the water and highly suggest increasing the water change frequency with those tanks as well. good luck--
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thanks solomon
and gator, keep your anger to yourself
I know its insufficient
Im gone 13 hours a day
trying my best, nitrates are fine so are nitrites, He will get bigger water changes untill he gets into his new tank
look guys Im came to ask for help not be bagered, If thats gonna be your post, leave it the heck out.
Oh and he is in sand and it is strided once a week
if you read my previous post youll see im trying to get him in a bigger tank but you try getting up at 4am and and not getting home till 7pm or later, I have 1 hour before im in bed just to function so I have to care for my 5 tanks over the weekend and working with getting ready for the holidays make stuff harder. He will be in a bigger tank SOON. ok?
ps the 10% a month was a typo, Its 10% a week.
NOW OFFER HELP FOR MY PROBLEM, OR LEAVE IT ALONE.
solomon thanks for being kind

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store