Datnoids aggression

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Sup MFK.
Ive been looking through the "post your dats" thread and have noticed 18" Dats with 6" dats, also i have read that dats are aggressive against each other, im confused :nilly:

So the reason i am asking this is because i am getting my tank ready for the summer when im gonna get a Dat, but man i wanna get 2 but 3 would be to much cause the tank is 125g and i want them to live there for a long time. But i dont wanna risk the dats because im getting Datnioides microlepsis at 4" and the price is 65 bucks each cause i am in damn Iceland ;)

Should i get 1 or 2.
They would be alone in a 125g (maybe with 1 poly) 2600L p/h.

Heres another question.
I know that when they will arrive from britain they WILL only eat live food. How can i convert them off live foods, i will be wanting to be feeding them market shrimps but will get Crayfish as snacks.

The reason i am waiting til summer:
1. Because there is a 30min driving to the lfs and many fish have frosen on the way home:screwy:
2. If i cant get them off live foods, so i will have LOADS off crayfish to convert them off (im breeding them right now):D

vanimate

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
Chicago ŅŞ
They will be more aggressive to each other if they are similar in size. If they don't feel a smaller dat is a threat, they will ignore them, even if they are small enough to eat.

The more dats the better, but I've kept two dats in a tank with not much of a problem. If you get three, they can live in a 125 for a pretty long time.

You've had fish freeze in 30 minutes on the way home? Are you riding your bike to the LFS?

;)

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Jakob;2558012; said:
i've kept 2 dats in a 125 gtank before, and they kept fighting. as they were similar size. i added more tigers, all diff sizes, and now ,none of the tigers gets bullied.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Vanimate: I live in friggin Iceland man, i take the bus..
I can barely afford 3 Dats, in your economy they are like $150, should i get 1 or 2?
Yes and i still need an answer about the feeding.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
*Sry when i said frosen fish i meant dead fish.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
They would definitely be better off as 1 or a group. As for feeding, they can be pretty stubborn when trying to convert them to something new. Easiest for me was cut pieces of frozen shrimp. Seems almost all my fish loved that stuff.

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
But HOW can i convert them off live food?

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Jakob;2558299; said:
Vanimate: I live in friggin Iceland man, i take the bus..
I can barely afford 3 Dats, in your economy they are like $150, should i get 1 or 2?
Yes and i still need an answer about the feeding.
OK , first, assuming tigers are all wild caught, when they are shipped over, its more than likely, they'll only eat live foods.... makes sense. However, I just bought 2 nr. 7 inch thin bars, that were imported fromthailand about 7 weeks ago. They were in the LFS for 3 weeks, & ONLY fed river shrimp. Within 12 hours in my tank, they were eating chopped prawn and lance fish. within 24 hrs they were eating frozen beef heart, bloodworm and kill. So assuming newly imported tigers ONLY eating live food, this is not guaranteed.
Whilst tigers can be fussy, if u starve them, and /or only feed them what you want them to eat, eventually they'll eat it. It's just a matter of time. (be prepared for days, weeks or even months)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store