Non overly aggressive mbunas

BigTim15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
East Coast
What are some non overly aggressive mbunas that you guys have kept. I see that too many people mix mbunas and since they know they are mbunas they think they will be ok. So what are some of your less aggressive mbunas that you have kept?

Mine are

Saulosi
Mbuna
Socolofi

terminalMTS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
marysville,WA
yellow labs are not aggressive. acei seem docile too. i have had luck with red zebras too. i have had 6 of them and none of them was overly aggressive. IMO

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
My yellow lab is the biggest bad-ace mbuna that I have. But overall, labs and acei are relatively peaceful.

LadyBarbara001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty) is a calm fish. I keep those, yellow labs and white tailed Aceis in a 125, with no problems.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
I kept yellow labs and yellow tailed acei, it was a good match for me. Plus the contrasting yet coordinating colors looked fantastic together.
Everybody who saw it that was not into fish themselves commented that it looked like salt water fish.

My red zebra were more aggressive in general but some individuals were ok

Stay away from : maingano, kenyi, bumblebee, and any of the melanchromis species such as auratus or a fish LFS label as electric blue african. labeotropheus are also pretty aggressive, at least the one i have is.

Calaustria

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Hobart, IN
I'm definitely going with Acei. My Aceis seem to be the only ones in the tank who never chase anything, nor are they ever chased. It's like they don't have their own territory, they just follow each other around the tank. All the others have their territories staked out. The Aceis are actually one of the biggest ones in the tank too. One of my kenyis only keeps other fish out of his territory or grazes. The other kenyi seems to just pick fights with the male bumblebee.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store