do datnoids grow slow?

myles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
have a couple simese datnoids at work and had them for a little wile now and they eat great, are active, and have ltos of room, good water conditionsd but dotn seem to grow much at all, thrre about 4". dont have a huge amount of experiance with them but i would have thoguht for a fish that grows that big as adults they would grow quicker. whats are there growth rates generaly?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
depends. On water quality, Food intake,...etc. But yep.....slow growers.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
YEP....slow growers..when they grow, they grow height and stockiness before length

myles

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
interesting, on average what would you say they grow a year? or is that a question thats too hard to answer?

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe 2"-4" a year? I had some ITs that I got at 1.5" and sold them a little over a year later at 4"-5"

christ4paul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
just do water change when you need and feed them daily and stop paying attention to it and next thing you know they will look bigger to you. if you keep stressing on how long it will take to grow it will take ages. LOL. what other people said, they are slow growing fishes compared to cichlids. my thin bar grew like 1/2 an inch in close to 8 months.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
christ4paul;2562343; said:
just do water change when you need and feed them daily and stop paying attention to it and next thing you know they will look bigger to you. if you keep stressing on how long it will take to grow it will take ages. LOL. what other people said, they are slow growing fishes compared to cichlids. my thin bar grew like 1/2 an inch in close to 8 months.
Spot on C4P..;)in general they are slowgrowers, but if u monitor there growth rate each day, then you'll be forever waiting. tigers growing slowly is nothing to worry about, as long as they do not look thin.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
myles;2561544; said:
have a couple simese datnoids at work and had them for a little wile now and they eat great, are active, and have ltos of room, good water conditionsd but dotn seem to grow much at all, thrre about 4". dont have a huge amount of experiance with them but i would have thoguht for a fish that grows that big as adults they would grow quicker. whats are there growth rates generaly?
this is a good growth according to me.. first pic is from late december last year and second pic is from like a month and a half back.. enjoy!

and the that I refer to is the smaller one to the middle left ^^ ;)

DSC03573.JPG

Bild 005.jpg

Heyitsduy42

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2005
SoCal 818 / OC 949
Many will say slow growers but I had good luck with them so far.

Bought a few at 3" April. They all hit 6" by July or August. So that about an inch a month.

Also bought a ST at about 10" about 3 months ago. Its about 12-13" Now.

I do 50% weekly water changes. All my Dats feed on Freeze dried shrimps, fresh shrimp, talapia, Hikari sticks, beefheart. I think beefheart is the reason why they put on good size.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Heyitsduy42;2563023; said:
Many will say slow growers but I had good luck with them so far.

Bought a few at 3" April. They all hit 6" by July or August. So that about an inch a month.

Also bought a ST at about 10" about 3 months ago. Its about 12-13" Now.

I do 50% weekly water changes. All my Dats feed on Freeze dried shrimps, fresh shrimp, talapia, Hikari sticks, beefheart. I think beefheart is the reason why they put on good size.
i find that too. i have 3 tigers eat beefheart as part of diet, and they grow considerably faster than the others. combine with frozen prawn & lancefish , as staple = EVEN BETTER:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store