Suggestions please...

KRIS N FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
OHIO
Ok...I'm new to the site nad open to any help or suggestions. I have a 125gal and a 46gal (bow front) ready to go. I wanna stay Tanganyikan and i'm still learning bout all the various species in it (also recently been looking at arowanas...beautiful fish). I like my fish to breed or pair up. Some fish I thought about was Frontosas, calvus/compressicep, leleupi, cyprochromis, brevis, mutlis/similis, pearly ocellatus. I could create divisions for territory but I was just wondering on suggestions for the number of fish and species. I'd appreciate any ideas. Here are some pics of my main tank...enjoy.

fish 001.jpg

fish 002.jpg

fish 003.jpg

fish 004.jpg

fish 005.jpg

fish 006.jpg

fish 007.JPG

JIM

Banned
Nov 5, 2008
Indiana
great lookin tank, the landscaping look like what i would expect to see in nature. Its hard to suggest fish because i like all the Tang fish, shellies are kewl as are calvis, dickfeldi are nice lookin but semi aggressive, It all comes down to what you like. Im sure you will give that a lotta thought as is evident by the thought you put into arranging and usage of well placed plants in this tank.

KRIS N FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
OHIO
Thx...Yea I learned that about Fronts the hard way...my brevis disappeared.

And I just happened to be looking up julidochromis and saw the midnight blue dickfeldi. Nice fish! But was reading about its aggression...which I dont mind...but the tankmates might. It's about the same behavior I've been readin about leleupi. Thx JimV

TheFanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
St. Louis
www.grillinfool.com
mike dunagan;2562473; said:
Fronts will eat shellies in time.
And I would assume that they will eventually wreck the plantwork. They might leave the Java fern and java moss alone, but I can see that Jungle Val being yanked out as they get bigger...

You could probably get a good deal of trade in value for the Fronts. Trade them in for a bunch of the smaller stuff. You can get all kinds of breeding going on and your plants will remain intact...

JIM

Banned
Nov 5, 2008
Indiana
I want to be totally objective here but if i were you i would throw out all those other fish (sorry cant just throw em out, give em to some other chiclid dude, then gather up a bunch of Natives, Sunfish, madtoms, Darters, etc, and go Native. Trust me youll never go back to those foreign fish :headbang2

KRIS N FISH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2008
OHIO
lol...see what I go thru wit my lil bro (sigh). He'll never admit it but I was the first to start successfully breeding fish :D

But yea Fanatic...I was rubber bandin plants and re-planting constantly as my Fronts kept getting bigger. But good idea about goin a little smaller and havin more goin on. When you have a 125 you just wanna go big and keep fish you couldnt keep in an average size tank.

I'll have to research some info on what you are talkin bout JimV.

Thx for the comments...keep em comin

MalawiTango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
N Virginia
You could have a really nice tropheus colony in that 125. You could also have some Leluepi for color and Eretmodus goby's for interesting behavior as well. Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store