Operation Rescue Motoro (Disclaimer: Pictures May Be Considered Graphic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
Matt, Jamie and I went to a store out northeast of the Washington D.C. area. I thought what we witnessed there was worth writing a thread here. I would absolutely love for you to message me for the name of the place, so please do not hesitate.

The fish I saw at this warehouse were without a single shadow of a doubt the worst I have ever seen. I can say that with no exaggeration.

An effortless majority of their stock had various wounds and infections.

We went to check this place out because we read they were selling Motoros for $89.95 a piece. We thought this was too good to be true, and not only was that the case, but that is an incredible understatement.

It might be obvious that we were most focused on the stingrays they were selling.

Five Motoros were kept in a ridiculously undersized tank. They had one filter, both much too basic and much too small, that hung on the back of the tank. The water was colored bright kelly green, which I have never seen. If the employees told me they dumped a gallon of green food coloring in the tank, I would have believed them.

Each Motoro had some sort of infection or burn, they were not eating at all while being completely surrounded by black worms and they were hardly moving. Each is five to six inches across.

These people obviously had no idea what it is they are doing. They have apparently done no research on stingrays at all and believe ray-keeping is much like feeder-fish-keeping. The store owner asked us repeatedly how we were going to take care of the Motoros. I could not believe the audacity. It took everything inside of me not to scream, ‘We are purchasing them from you because YOU do not know how to take care of them! If you are going to be someone who does not take care of your stock, then at least spare insulting me and yourself in pretending to care what kind of home they are going to! The only worse possible scenario for them besides the one they are in now is playing Frisbee with your dog with them! I could kill them now, in the store, and they would be better off!’ Unbelievable.

I was brokenhearted.
So, Matt and I bought them all.

We understand we fed their success by doing business with them, but have no doubt that we will be in contact with them.

Again, if you are or will be in the area, please PM me for the store’s name.
They cannot stay in business.

Current Set-up
Rubbermaid, 150 gal
Three HOB filters (two rated 30 gal, one 20 gal)
(Purchasing FX5 or wet/dry filter as early as possible tomorrow morning)

Treatments
1 dose Binox
1 dose PraziPro
3 lb Salt (1.5 lb tomorrow)

Current Stats
Temperature: 85 Degrees
Ammonia: 0
No light

Any additional information on what we can for them would be much appreciated.

Here are pictures.
They are a little distorted from the bird’s eye view shots because of the movement of the water from the filters. Matt made me promise not to name them until a month has passed, so they're marked as numbers for now.

I’ll be posting a journal of their recovery process.

First Shot of #1

Second Shot of #1

First Shot of #2

Second Shot of #2

First Shot of #3

Second Shot of #3

First Shot of #4

Second Shot of #4

Shot of #5

First Shot of #1 and #2 Together

Second Shot of #1 and #2 Together

Shot of #5 and #2 Together

Shot of #1, #5 and #2 Together

Amazon_Addict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
Rubicon, Wi
Wow that is horrible. Do they have any warranty, because it would be nice to rub it in their face for the one that died. I hope you can save the remaining ones. Looks like your doing a good job so far.

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
pacudan;2562224; said:
Wow that is horrible. Do they have any warranty, because it would be nice to rub it in their face for the one that died. I hope you can save the remaining ones. Looks like your doing a good job so far.
Thanks. We're definitely trying to do what we can. Those people running that store knew these rays were sick (I don't know who couldn't, ha) and there's no way they would guarantee these stingrays. We thought it was worth the try anyway. In the right environment, they could be amazing. I just wanted to give them a chance to flourish. And that store will undoubtedly be hearing from me.

carolines100

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
leeds
Good luck with them u will need it . Looks like some very bad heater burns well done in the rescue keep up the good work

ashleysomething

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2008
Maryland
Kevaldo;2562257; said:
it dont look to good but let's hope you can save them. you've done a decent thing there. is there no one you can report them to?
That is a great question. I've been looking all over the internet for a place to report them, and I haven't found one thing. I mean, there's http://www.fishstorereview.com. That helps bring awareness, but I worry about defamation, ha. I don't want to get sued or anything crazy.

If anyone can help me find an official establishment to get in contact with to report them, I would be very appreciative. I'll continue to look around as well, and hopefully something will come up.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Pyramid_Party;2562362; said:
You probably cant report them to the BBB for starters.
Why is it not possible?

Ashley, you've done a very good job rescuing them. I'm crossing my fingers they will make it in the end and you can then reason out with the perpetrators.:)

Mrs. Kitty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
KY
Unbelievable! I will never understand how such beautiful creatures get so neglected! Good luck with them. I hope they pull through! Good to know that there are people like you guys left in the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store