gar with pbass question

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
7-8" florida gar with 5" orino pbass what do you think? bad ending or not? LFS has one and it would save me ordering it.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
bad combination as just about all cichlid-gar combos are. if you have a choice in the matter ahead of time (as it appears you do), i would skip it.--
--solomon

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
i thought just the size difference may be too much but the gars dont have very big mouths. . . just long. didnt think that this combo would be bad overall. i see it done a lot. what is the secret to those working then?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
dunno but i wouldnt do it man

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
the pbass guys so its a cool combo that will be ok and they have it and the gar guys so no. i dont know what to think. whats up?

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
he chases the smaller pbass and the occasional clown loach but the paratalapia gets the best of everyone. no one ever nips or anything just chases though. i am def. hearing mixed opinions from the different groups though. i dont know what to think.

orinocensis1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Rhode Island
hey you know what sometimes what the people say isnt always true.. ive tryed out things that people were saying "oh thats the worst combo you can do they are going to kill eachother blah blah blah" and you know what i was crazy enough to try it and you know what there are no problems... So you know what you wont know untill you try.. all fish react differently.. but I wouldnt do it because you know how agressive orinos get but you never know.. my 2 Orinos are mixed with 1 peru mono and 3 pinima and they dont bother no one..

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
this is one of those things where no amount of previous experience from other fish keepers will stop someone from trying a combo...with plenty of experience with gars and various combinations as well as observing other combos firsthand, i can tell you that this combination is not advisable.
often times people really want to try things and will do so no matter what others say...you can try it if you want...your choice, but you've heard from 'the gar people' and i think you have the general consensus.
gars may try to eat food larger than their gape limitation, this has been seen countless times and may kill one or both of the fishes. pbass can be very aggressive and outcompete gars for food or spook them into breaking their backs. it's a bad combo, but test it if you want; good luck--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store