Fungus on african driftwood

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Anyone have this problem? I can see what looks like white fungus growing on my african driftwood. What is this and how do I eliminate it? I have never seen it before on any of my other driftwood, just in the planted tank. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

illustrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
NewHampshire, USA
This happens on some varieties of driftwood. Is it a whitish cloudy looking slime (basically looks like snot growing on your wood *ick*)? If that's the case, then it's pretty normal, and harmless to your fish. In a few weeks it will go away on its own, or you can take a brush and scrub it off and siphon it out (as it will clog your filter) to get rid of it. It's not uncommon with new pieces of wood that were once submerged, then dried out, and then submerged again. It also happens a lot with grapewood.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
:iagree:

Some plecos and Corys actually eat it.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Ok, thanks for the info. It is actually like a fuzz though. If it is the same as you are talking about, I wont worry then. Thanks again.

michael

Tri-State Fish Hoarder
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2005
Dirty Jersey
I have this too on a newly sunk piece and with my water changes seems to be fading.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
TankBuster said:
Take the driftwood out, or the fish??
Not necessary. It'll go away within a couple of weeks.

HarleyK

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
i had the same prob w/ my driftwood. i gave up trying to gt rid of it and it has been in my garage for months. i will try to fix i now though. just need a large enough tub for it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store