Sick eureka red. help pls

VinceC_69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Canada eh?
my eureka red isn't eating and looks really thin, hes also doing this thing where he looks like hes coughing... Im really worried about him hes getting way to thin and he just wont eat. any ideas what could be wrong?

jhutch

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
New York
aquaticmadness.com
Pics would be helpful. It doesn't sound like anything I have encountere before. Maybe try a garlic based food. Garlic is supposed to stimulate sick fish that won't eat.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
I have never heard of this before.

How long have you had this fish ?

Any other fish kept with it, if yes, do they have the same symptoms ?

Any illnesses in the tank recently ?

Do you do regular maintence such as gravel vacuming and water changes (not just replacing evaporated water, but bigger changes)

Any stringy white feces or anything unusual ?

Have you added any new :

fish

changed anything in the tank like decorations or new tankmates,

new brand of food (even new bag of same food you always feed).

Try this first :

Do a good vacume of the gravel and a 50 percent water change. Then buy some cooked (or raw) shrimp in the grocery store and some freeze dried krill from the petstore. Slice up the for him and see if he will eat it or not.

If it still wont eat then :

If you cant find a definete problem and none of the above apply and the fish had been healthy before all this then i would try to get a internal/external parasite medication and treat for it. Alot of skinny fish have picked up a parasite in their gut and that is why they are skinny and off their food. If your fish responds to this then i would treat the whole tank and other tankmates since the others probably have it too.

VinceC_69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Canada eh?
Yes, I actually moved all my fish to a much bigger tank, with new decorations and some of the fish haven't seen each other because they were in 2 separate tanks before.
all the other fish are still pigs so hes the only 1 with this problem. hes usally the most outgoing and tends to push others around, but now he stays out of every1's way and hides a lot.
He's supper thin at this point and im worried he wont last much longer like this.
I'll get pics as soon as i can, my cam is at my friends at the moment.

VinceC_69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Canada eh?
great news on this christmas morning! I went to go feed the fish and he was the first 1 gulping down his food! im so happy, hes even swimming around acting like a big shot again!
I don't know what was wrong with him but im just glad its over:nilly:

pkut

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
NC
You got a nice Christmas present! I am glad that he came around for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store