Foam on top of tank

geotlyrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Florida
Getting some kind of foam (bubbly like) on top of water. Just changed the water 2 days ago, and all readings were ok.. Not sure what is causing this?? My tank (46 bow) has yellow labs, afra cobues, multi cats and rusties. I noticed this happening last month also, but did not pay attention. All fish seem to be ok, with several females holding... Can anyone tell me, what this foam like bubbles could be?? Thanks..

Geo

Ps. It is just in one area of the tank.. Just did another reading of the water. All readings were ok, except for the hardness. PH is around 8.4. But, Gh and kh were low..

If I add baking soda to raise the hardness, won't that raise the PH even further?? Is that advisable?? Thanks for the replies..

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
geotlyrae;2573331; said:
Getting some kind of foam (bubbly like) on top of water. Just changed the water 2 days ago, and all readings were ok.. Not sure what is causing this?? My tank (46 bow) has yellow labs, afra cobues, multi cats and rusties. I noticed this happening last month also, but did not pay attention. All fish seem to be ok, with several females holding... Can anyone tell me, what this foam like bubbles could be?? Thanks..

Geo

Ps. It is just in one area of the tank.. Just did another reading of the water. All readings were ok, except for the hardness. PH is around 8.4. But, Gh and kh were low..

If I add baking soda to raise the hardness, won't that raise the PH even further?? Is that advisable?? Thanks for the replies..
I don't know if I would put baking soda in the tank. But, do you have alot of charcoal or new filter pads in the filter?

onlikedonkeykong17

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
US
how often do you do water changes? is it some type of algae?

geotlyrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Florida
I have 2 emperor 400's in this tank.. I did a major water change 2 days ago, but did not change the charcoal filters (only rinsed it). They are about 1mo old, so I left them for a little while longer. (Perhaps they should be changed).

geotlyrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Florida
I do 30% water changes every week, and move all the rocks once a month. This time, I did a 40% change. I don't think is algae. It's really tiny bubbles in one area of the tank..

orbit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2008
Michigan
geotlyrae;2573591; said:
I have 2 emperor 400's in this tank.. I did a major water change 2 days ago, but did not change the charcoal filters (only rinsed it). They are about 1mo old, so I left them for a little while longer. (Perhaps they should be changed).
Nah those are fine then. I was thinking if you added charcoal it can cause the foaming like you're referring to. Did you add anything to the water when you did the water change?

mahemaheman85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
spokane
the foam is caused by to much matter decomposing in the tank, have they been overfed? maybe try feeding them less more often, and a good cleaning

geotlyrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Florida
mahemaheman85;2573882; said:
the foam is caused by to much matter decomposing in the tank, have they been overfed? maybe try feeding them less more often, and a good cleaning

I think you got it... Someone else told me the same thing.. Too much flakes.. Will cut out overfeeding.. Although, my nitrates are ok.. Thanks..

geotlyrae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Florida
orbit;2573738; said:
Nah those are fine then. I was thinking if you added charcoal it can cause the foaming like you're referring to. Did you add anything to the water when you did the water change?

I always add the same stuff... Salt, Buffer, cichlid trace, and Stability ... I think that overfeeding is the problem. Will stop that...

Geo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store