Fx5 Owners: Flow Testing @ Different Heads?

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I have been trying to get Hagen to send me a Pump Chart for the Fx5. Basically showing the Flow Rates at Different Head Pressures.

They keep saying they don't have any charts like that available.

So does anyone with a flow meter or some sort and good flow test procedure, thats owns the Fx5, be able to tell me what the flow is at different head heights?

The heights im looking for is 1,2,4,6,8. 1 foot would be the height of the canister so no tubing would be needed.

This won't be the most accurate since the intake won't be the same as the output which could hinder performance.

I just wanted to make a pump graph for the closest flow rate/head height possible.

So, anyone up for the challenge?

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
Sounds interesting. I would be interested in this info....

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
It would be nice to have a graph of many different filters. I have one graph that I made but its not actual data. I don't wan't to upload it since it will just spark a nasty heated fight.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
Jgray152;2592354; said:
It would be nice to have a graph of many different filters. I have one graph that I made but its not actual data. I don't wan't to upload it since it will just spark a nasty heated fight.
I need to clean my under tank area and do maintance on several filters today. If I have time, which I should, since I will probably be doing tank maintance instead of partying until 12:00, then I will do this.

I don't want to cut up the ribbed hosing that came with the unit though, since I don't have extra, so should I just use PVC. PVC will obviously produce higher flow rates, without bends, since how it is not ribbed....

hbluehunter

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2007
Lynnwood, Wa.
This will be very interesting to see the results.. I have 2 FX5's that are pumping over 5' so i can't wait to see how much flow i'm losing going that high..

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I need to clean my under tank area and do maintance on several filters today. If I have time, which I should, since I will probably be doing tank maintance instead of partying until 12:00, then I will do this.

I don't want to cut up the ribbed hosing that came with the unit though, since I don't have extra, so should I just use PVC. PVC will obviously produce higher flow rates, without bends, since how it is not ribbed....
That would be great. Obveously we can't make a graph telling people EXACTLY the flow rate they will get but we give give them an idea.

PVC or Vinyl tubing. Both intake and output would have to be the same height (not just length)

Multiple test to get an average. If you have a flow meter that would be best. If you are using a bucket then I would measure the amount of waer in the bucket through weight. 8lbs per gallon minus the bucket. Maybe use a 5 gallon bucket with 5 gallons of water but only flow test 4 gallons, this way you can mark the 1 gallon height so you know when to stop.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
If anyone wants to see the graph, just PM me. I will upload it and give you a link.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Don't they have to be below tank level or just water level?

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Just water level. Tank level is irrelevent. The actual water surface level is what needs to be taken into consideration.

The "HEAD HEIGHT" is the height between the pump and the the hose at the top of the bend when it goes over the rim of the tank.

In the Fx5's case. 0 Head is almost impossible to obtain since there is already about 10-12" of pipe coming up from the pump to the cover. So if you tested 1' above the cover, that would be a 2' head height.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store