Change tank size?

sainthitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
canada
I currently have a 125g. i have the oppertunity to get a 9 foot by 18inch by 18 inches. not very high and not very wide....what are your thoughts on changing to that tank size? will the dimensions benifit cichilds?
its 150g so it will have 25g more but obviously theres a serious change in dimensions.

thoughts?

MalawiTango

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2008
N Virginia
Sounds really cool, what kind of cichlids do you keep? I think the extra length would benefit most types of cichlids with aggression and just creating lots of space for fish to roam and stay away from each other if needed. I would go for it.

JamesRiggs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2008
Huntsville,AL
MalawiTango;2576732; said:
Sounds really cool, what kind of cichlids do you keep? I think the extra length would benefit most types of cichlids with aggression and just creating lots of space for fish to roam and stay away from each other if needed. I would go for it.
I second that.

mr_cool_guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Florida
I third, all in favor say "I"...

Motion passed. Buy the tank if its a good buy.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
A 9 footer would be a super sweet pickup for cichlids of any kind. Go for it and be sure to post pics. I have a 7 foot tank and its awsome, the longer tanks make a huge difference in how the fish interact and how many you can house comfortable in one tank. If you have the room and can place the tank so its going across not with the support joists its a great thing. If you have a basement with a concrete slab for flooring then the joists arnt even a concern. i know someone who has a family room in the basement, with a concrete pad covered with carpet etc.. He has a ten foot tank and loves it. I say go for it.

sainthitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
canada
Sweet, thanks for all the comments guys. I got the take. i got it for $200 CAN as the person was selling there house and wanted it gone. I pick it up tommorow...now the challenge will be getting it home! hahah

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
glad to see your getting it. What we did when i got my 7 foot tank is rented a uhaul trailer . simple , cheap, and safe. Maybe you can do something similar. The earlier comment about bringing 4 guys is probably very accurate, 4 or 5 depending on if its glass or acrylic. I know the glass 7 footer was extremely heavy, two large strapping six foot guys had a hard time getting it lifted onto the stand in a safe manner. Its in place now LOL, but it was scarey for a few minutes. I saw a pic once of a ten foot tank going into someone house in florida, they had 8 adults, 4 men (one on each corner) and 2 women on each side in the middle sections. That tank will be very awkward to move and place because of both weight and excess lenghth. Cant wait to see it though. Make sure that you place the tank over as many support joists as you can to spread out the weight. Shore up any joists in a basement with 2 x 4 or 4 x4 if you have to. We shored up our barns hay loft by making a T ran a solid wood board under 2 joists with a 4 x 4 under it in the center. If there is any doubt i would do it just to be safe. Have you calculated the weight yet ? must be extreme LOL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store