Any expert advice on Datnoids

tan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2008
Las Vegas
I have never have the datnoid before, but plan to buy a datnoid as addition to my tank, currently I have an 8" arrowana and a couple other fishes. The LFS has 2 datnoid for sale, one 8 " wide bar and another 9" either indo or silver (which I can not tell since it is not stable at this time- all has dark color). The LFS says it may cause problem since the datnoid is a little big compared to the arrowana. I wonder : first , if it is ok to introduce either one into my tank, since I love my arrowana and do not want anything happen to him at all. Is there any chance the datnoid would attack the arrowana?

Second, The LFS asks for $350 for the 8" wide bar and $250 for the orther one. Does it sound reasonable?

Third, which datnoid has more gold / brighter color (which is the color that I prefer), I can not tell since all two currently has very dark color. Hopefully it would become stable after introducing into my tank.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
if its definatley a pulcher (aka wide bar) - get it wihout thinking! very rare nowadays especially less than 9 inches.

pedro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2006
philippines
id think twice about getting a dark dat...ive never seen a dark pulcher, so im wondering if it really is a pulcher being sold at your lfs...$350 for an 8-inch pulcher seems like a good deal if it's a real pulcher though

Pulcher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Florida
Pics? i wouldent care what dat it is. If it is 8+ inches then thats a great dat. I would post pics first, there are alot of indo scammers out there it seems as more 3 bar indos are starting to show up.

SovietFireExtinguisher

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Canada
I wouldn't think that it's a Pulcher if it's all dark. They are extremely rarely not stable. It does sound like a three bar Indo Dat. I would be very very sceptical if I was you. I grew an inch and a half Indo to 8 inches in a little over 2 years with just good water changes and NO power feeding. They seem to grow better if they are a little hungry in my experience. The water changes are critical though especially if you are growing out more then one. They release hormones into the water that slows down others growth once a dominant one is established. Pretty much just like Clown Loaches which is why they are know to be such notoriously slow growers.

tan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2008
Las Vegas
I just picked up the wide bar for $300.00 today. It has 3 bar just like the wide bar, personally I think it is the wide bar , but of couse I do not know for sure, but it looks like other widebar that showed in this forum. I am still wait for it to become stable, will post the pic soon. So you guy can see.

tan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2008
Las Vegas
Also the other 9" datnoid left in the LFS I think it is Indo (IT). At first, I think I could be the NGT since it is dark and the bars are fuzzy looking, but the LFS told me to touch the fish, it would change color (more stable) and surprising It did turn gold color with solid 5 bar (very interesting). The LFS tries to cut down the overhead, he did not even put heater in the tank, the tank is really cold, and I feel sorry for the fish.

Pulcher

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Florida
pics?

sudi817

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2008
Toronto
You just have to prepare yourself for the worst scenario. It's a case to case basis. My 12" ST is bulying my 13" crossback and his tankmates most of the time. My aro already lost some scales and torn its anal fins due to tank fights with my 12" dat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store