BN Plecs and Mbunas

kevin007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2008
Toronto
What are your experiences with BN Plecs with Mbunas?
From my research, it seems like they can live together, but the plec usually gets beat up with alot of torn fins.

I plan on gettin 1m/2f for my 180 mbuna tank

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
No problems, but I have mellow Mbuna (Yellow Lab and Acei).

Coryd55

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2008
Woodstock, GA
My mom keeps 3 ABN in here African tank. Its got like 11 or so Mbunas.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Full grown bn plecs are pretty heavily armored and have done well in my mbuna tanks.Younger ones are softer and Ive seen them get chewed up and eaten.
If possible its better to let the plecs get established then add the mbuna.Try to give them some caves the mbuna dont fit in.

Bogwoodbruce

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2007
Rotherham, UK
www.facebook.com
We mix them and with larger haplochromis in the shop and we recommend it for our customers too.

We find that if you add plecos like gibbiceps and commons they outgrow the tank and can knock the rock and decor around and as they are bigger they do somtimes get picked on and killed by their tankmates.

Bristlnose are much better alternative

sascythe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
northern ohio
yea i got BN with my albino zebra and they only got in one scuffle when i first released him in the tank. after that they have been fine together.

kevin007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2008
Toronto
Sounds great then, I'll be stocking the tank (180G) with yellow labs, aceis, rusties, demasoni, some peacocks/haps.

TheFanatic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2008
St. Louis
www.grillinfool.com
I have a tank with mostly peaceful africans - peacocks, haps, yellow labs, but I also have a couple trets and some breeding J. Transcriptus as well as breeding Zebra Obliquidens.

For plecos I have a small tiger pleco, a green phantom, a false zebra and a standard BN. Have not had a problem with any of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store