getting gars off feeders

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
now i searched and couldnt find anything. if there is please just attach a link. how do you get them off of feeders? my pbass eats shrimp and i dont want him back on feeders.

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
I have the other problem where my spotted gar WON'T eat at all. He doesn't touch feeders nor any other kind of food I put in....his tankmates all eat besides him.....

BUMP!

catfishlover106

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Daly City/San Francisco, CA
hmm I would just be very persistent with them and keep trying on feeding it dead food or dry food. Mines was like that before when I was at Florida, its still over their and when I got it It wouldn't eat except live feeders. I was so persistent with getting it to eat pellets or shrimp I just kept tossing in some each day and within a month to a month in a half It tasted 1 piece of cichlid pellets and then it got into it and now eats any pellets in the tank and raw shrimp. Just Be Very Persistent When Weaning Off Live Food :)

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
i cant get my gar off of feeders :(

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
catfishlover106;2579794; said:
hmm I would just be very persistent with them and keep trying on feeding it dead food or dry food. Mines was like that before when I was at Florida, its still over their and when I got it It wouldn't eat except live feeders. I was so persistent with getting it to eat pellets or shrimp I just kept tossing in some each day and within a month to a month in a half It tasted 1 piece of cichlid pellets and then it got into it and now eats any pellets in the tank and raw shrimp. Just Be Very Persistent When Weaning Off Live Food :)
Exactly.. it is nothing but patience and persistence... I've never had a gar of any species that refused prepared foods or would not take them.... and I've kept a hell of a lot of gars...

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
thats what i hear poly
still trying with mine

catfishlover106

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2007
Daly City/San Francisco, CA
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;2580169; said:
thats what i hear poly
still trying with mine
Thats great, just keep it up and soon enough they will turn up and eat dry goods, and frozen goods. Just be patient and yur gars will start eating the foods yu want them to get onto. I guess they will soon figure out thats whats being offered more often then the occasional feeders :grinno:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
joworth;2579722; said:
now i searched and couldnt find anything. if there is please just attach a link. how do you get them off of feeders? my pbass eats shrimp and i dont want him back on feeders.
i know with enough searching you should be able to find it on this forum as it's been discussed a hundred times...but here is something relatively comprehensive that will spare you from a lot of searching:

http://aquaticpredators.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=667

good luck--
--solomon

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
catfishlover106;2579794; said:
just follow this and you'll be set.
the one thing that has always worked for me is freeze dried krill.
then after that they start taking anything else.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store