Half land half water terrarium

Pat

Feeder Fish
Jun 11, 2005
I need some help and or tips on how to make and setup a half land half water terrarium. I have two young cornsnakes and i wanted a living terrarium with real plants and filtering water. I need advice on plant types, water filtration setup, a step by step guide on how to set up the tank, and types of bulbs used to grow the plants. Pictures of already setup terrariums would help too. How big of a tank is recomended for two young snakes so i will not have to get a larger tank and re-do all the terrariums.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
There are some rather spendy set ups made by RIVERTANK for sale in a lfs. They include false rock shelves and backwall, as well as a stream bed and can be set at varying hieghts in your tank. They come in several sizes and combinations. They include pump, circulater, and filter as well. I saw a nice 150g with waterfalls at both ends that contained water dragons, a turtle, and some giant dianos, balas, and some catfish. As for lighting, standard aquarium lights work for most plants. I wonder about the snakes warming stone/pad though.

repair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Indy
I've had corn snakes and my concern is if the snake pooped in the water what a mess ( see a play on words....he so smart ) but back to the set up. I think you might get away with it if you didn't try to keep fish with the snake but with the warming pad and a heat light what temp would the water get to? I know that the snake would love the water and I've come up with a filter that might work for you but you would need an acrylic tank to use it.

The more I think about this the more I would like to see you make it work.

The filter system would consist of a tank for a sump and you would filter the water through filter bags that I've found and you might have to change the water after a big poop but I'll bet it would work. Heck you might find that the snake wouldn't poop in the water and then you could keep fish in with him. If you want to try it I'll help as much as I can.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
keep in mind the snakes WILL crap in the water, probably every time they have to go.

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness
Moreover, you're talking about a two snakes that get 4 feet or so. A bare minimum tank size for any snake is at least the length of the snake. So you would need at very least 4 feet of land area for the snakes, so if you actually wanted enough space to put enough water to support a fish population of more than a few guppies you are going to need a pretty freakin big tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store