Algae eater for cichlids

iamzrad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2008
Southern Penn
My pleco's are getting too large for my tank and I have to give them away.
What algae eater can I replace them for my tank?
I hear Chinese Algae eater's are a good replacement, but not sure if they will get along with my african's...
I have 10 med sized african's right now in there. 75gal.
Plenty of caves and hiding places.

Recommendations?

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
A really good algae eater is a Bristlenose Pleco, only grow about 5-6 inches. Im assuming you have another type? Theres shrimp and snails, although they would probably be killed/eaten. SAE/CAE I think get kinda big and they dont really eat algae well, plus they can suck the slime coats of fish, killing them.

iamzrad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2008
Southern Penn
I currently have 2 common pleco's, but 12"+, but they are going to good homes tomorrow.
I really don't want anymore pleco's...

I thought about shrimp, but what kinds could survive in my water conditions, 83 temp, pH at 8.3, 8 hardness.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
SAEs don't suck slime coats. CAEs however do especially when they reach 6 inch mark as sub-adults and turn to slime coat for protein source. You could try the horned nerite snails (Clithon corona). Their spines make them less vulnerable from predation but don't count on them to last long if they are continually harassed by the cichlids. They do eat algae efficiently and can reach no more than an inch in diameter. They require calcium dosing to avoid shell erosion. You could place plaster of Paris blocks or marble chips in your tank to maintain hardness thus preventing shell erosion. Nerites have very thick shells and demand constant calcium supply in the process similar to MTS.

No shrimps or anything else will survive in an African cichlid tank, sorry.

iamzrad

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2008
Southern Penn
Strangely, my cichlids are relatively calm though.
Only the cobalt and red zebra's chase each other around during courtship, etc. And my OB's chase each other around.
No one really picks on each other at all.

Here is my list (more than 10 actually),
(1) Cobalt Zebra

(1) Red Zebra

(4) OB Zebra's

(1) Venustus

(2) Jacobfreibergi Peacock

(1) Melanochromis auratus (does not live up to his name at all, most peaceful cichlid in my tank)

(1) Rusty (small)

(1) Red Empress

(1) Red top Zebra

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Shrimps still won't stand a chance to survive especially when they molt. Your best bet would be the horned nerite snails. PM Arakkis in Aquariacentral.com if you want some.

krzr3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2006
CT
Chinese algae eaters if you can find them big enough. Snails are gonna get worked, especially when they find their way into someone's cave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store