Front question

peathenster

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2008
Georgia, US
Hi - I recently bought two fronts (~2.5") from my lfs. They only had two in a tank with some other Africans. The two fronts seemed to ignore each other instead of hanging out together.

I qt-ed them separately for a couple of weeks, and recently added them to a 220g with some other non-aggressive fish. I was expecting a quick fight to determine who's the dominant, or better yet, they would hang out like a pair. Well neither happened - they actually set up their own territories....one stays in the left 2ft, and the other stays in the middle 2ft of the tank. Whenever one crosses the invisible border, a quick fight ensues, then everything goes back to normal.

I guess the good thing is that nobody is getting hurt, but it's frustrating that they don't move around the tank that much and I don't like the tension.

Does it happen a lot? I'm seriously considering getting rid of one but I really like them.... is this going to continue or will something happen eventually?

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
I think its normal. Watch them for a bit longer and see if one turns out to be the dominant one. Example : one fish can go into both areas while the other must stay in their own area or a fight happens. Which ever fish is allowed both areas is going to be your likley alpha male. That fish will go into the others territory and chase it , the other fish will run from it. You would get alot more interaction if you had more than just two fish. Fronts are a colony / harem fish. One or two males and a bunch of females. My frontosa all seem to have a small area staked out and tend to stay in there areas unless im feeding , soon as they are done eating they go back to the areas and hang around, slight bickering but nothing too violent. The only fish that truly goes where ever it wants with out problems is the alpha, if any other fish strays into his hide out it gets a nasty reminder. Fronts dont swim around alot, if your wanting a very active fish then i would trade them for some african haps and peacocks, those are much more active, dont try to keep them with the fronts though, they bite off the fronts fins if you do.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Fronts seem to like groups or solo in a tank.

freshwaterfishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I think thats preety normal, now mine i have two and i ended up having to seperate them cause the larger one wouldnt leave the smaller one alone, so i think it had alot to do with size but if their the same size that will probley die down after a couple weeks once the ground rules are set between them, now ive herd alot that they should be in a group of 3 or more and more is better.

cichlidgirl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2008
upstate ny
Most people did like i did, buy a fairly good size group of juvies, grow them out for about a year, then at that time its easier to tell male from female (by venting ), weed out the extra males and keep one or maybe two of the males with the females you have, also try to get some more females. Average group or colony is 1/2 males and at least 5 females. The bigger your tank the bigger your colony can be.

I also found out its better to get all the juvies at the same time, i bought mine 2 at a time for 4 months, so i have 2 or 3 larger fronts then they get smaller down to 3 inches. My other colony i got 11 all at once, they are more uniform in size.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store