Ideas on restarting an african cichlid tank.

Mumtron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2008
GHOSTING
I got rid of my sa/ca cichlids in one of my 60 gallon tanks and decided to start an african cichlid tank since I miss my previous african tank that i had a few years ago. I started by purchasing 4 2.5" Pseudotropheus Zebras(my favorite back then). What are some other "colorful" and nice looking african cichlids that would go well in there w/ them. I want to add a few more to curb aggression since I already know what Mbunas are capable of but i do want to add other africans other than Mbunas if possible. I'm primarily interested in malawi cichlids such as peacocks, electric blues (ahli), eurekas, etc. Any recommendations will be helpful. If malawi and tangs can't stay together I'll lose the tangs. Also, tank will be upgraded when needed.

BTW, im not interested in all lake victorian cichlids, all tropheus, all labidochromis, all nimbochromis, moori's (dolphin cichlid), auratus, kribensis, calvus, and all shelldwellers unless you can talk me into it. Sorry if I put down your favorite cichlids. I'm very picky. thank you.

Muske

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
Mundelein IL
Zebras are tough and Peacocks might not be a good mix.

My vote is for Tangs in a 60. All peacocks and Ahli will like a bigger tank.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny

Mumtron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2008
GHOSTING
Muske;2592220; said:
Zebras are tough and Peacocks might not be a good mix.

My vote is for Tangs in a 60. All peacocks and Ahli will like a bigger tank.
I will be setting up the 180 gallon in the garage when i feel the fish are of significant size. none of the africans are even over 3 or 4". until they put on some size they're going to do just fine in the 60.

Mumtron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2008
GHOSTING
gomezladdams;2595685; said:
labeotropheus trewavase
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/gomezladdams/mbuna/August2007253.jpg

Im a big fan of demasoni but many find them too challenging to keep.one of my breeders
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/gomezladdams/mbuna/March2008368.jpg

No labs? not even Hongi?
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l189/gomezladdams/mbuna/March2008369.jpg

Peacocks like you mentioned can work but zebras are likely to tear them up.Risky but possible.
you know i've always wanted a demasoni but just like you said i've heard they're a challenge to keep. I'll probably get one or 2 in the future when i have more fish. That Hongi looks real nice btw. Are they rare? haven't seen one of those before.

I just picked up one electric blue ahli, 2 bicolor malawi's, a eureka red, and a blue gold malawi 2 days ago. i was ready for some problems but things are going pretty well as of right now. i thought the peacocks and the mbunas wouldn't get along but they're doing fine minus a little chasing here and there but all the fins are intact and they're all eating very well. Malawi's are my favorite african cichlids as of right now. :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store