How much to feed my 17.5" fl gar+pics

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Got my new 17.5" florida gar about a week and a half ago,so i take it hes still settling in,but hes had a few massivore pellets and some raw prawn but hes only eaten it when the pellets hit him on the mouth and i waved the prawn next to his mouth,but at least hes taking something.
I was just wondering say,how many massivore pellets per day would keep him full,or how many large prawns so i ve got an idea how much to give him.

Hopefully some pics too.

IMG_6086.jpg

IMG_6339.jpg

IMG_6432.jpg

IMG_6434.jpg

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
That is an interesting looking fish..... If you don't mind could you get some close up photos of the head both lateral and dorsal?

My general rule on feeding "adult" (Above year class 1 fish) is, feed just enough to show a slight bulge every other day or so. Your going to have to find out what that is for your particular fish.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Dont tell me richard ive bought another dud?what do you mean by interesting looking?The aro has just decided this minute to have a go at him,a few times!

Cheers steve

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
spwd;2591928; said:
Dont tell me richard ive bought another dud?what do you mean by interesting looking?The aro has just decided this minute to have a go at him,a few times!

Cheers steve
It seems like a fine fish just has some interesting characteristics...

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
i agree with richard on the feeding suggestions and the request for more photos...the fish looks unusual. at first glance i would not have said FL/spotted but shortnose...given lateral striping (similar to what longnose and shortnose have) and rear-body patterning as well as elongate caudal peduncle. more pics would definitely help with ID --
--solomon

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Ok guys il try and get some,but its new years eve so wont be till late tomorrow,and i dont know why but my rtg is really having a go at him today,hes not bothered at all until today,is this just him showing whos boss,and before you ask the aro has been fed so shouldnt be hungry?

Cheers steve

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
spwd;2592788; said:
Ok guys il try and get some,but its new years eve so wont be till late tomorrow,and i dont know why but my rtg is really having a go at him today,hes not bothered at all until today,is this just him showing whos boss,and before you ask the aro has been fed so shouldnt be hungry?

Cheers steve
scleropages arows seem to be hit or miss with gars...usually hit if you're talking about aggression. i've heard of relatively few incidences where gars worked well with jardinis or leis, but since i have no experience with Asian arows one can only make conjectures about the genus as a whole.

if the aggression doesn't decrease soon it may not ever stop or the gar may just be relegated to sitting on the bottom (happens with jardini combos a lot). that arow is much larger than the gar, so putting a new smaller fish into the tank may not work out so well for the gar--
--solomon

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
ok mate il see how it goes,its just that until today hes been best buddys and the aro is only 1 3/4 " bigger and he doesnt really have a go at the dat or the geos? But il keep my eye on it.

Cheers steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store