Choose my Fish ! ;)

fifefisher

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Hi everyone, first post here - Firstly, Happy New-Year!

I'm looking for a little help on my first cichlid set-up, any advice is welcome.

I have kept freshwater tropicals for over 25 years and i have a 6 year-old marine tank, but i have always fancied a cichlid tank.

Anyway, i have a new 50gal tank, external & internal filters and have been thinking about what fish i will get for it.

I dont really want fish too big, and i know i wont be able to keep a lot of fish in that size of tank. I worked out that keeping american & african or herbivore & non-herbivore together may not work too well, so my current thinking is for 2-3 different peacocks (males?) and 3-4 Labidochromis (same species or mixed?)

Any thoughts on this or suggestions of fish i would love to hear,

Thanks, Graeme.

BigTim15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
East Coast
A lot of people generally do not mix between the peacocks and mbuna becuase the mbuna are a lot more aggressive. Your set up looks ok becuase the labidiochromis are usually a lesser aggressive mbuna. Another reason people dont mix is becuase peacocks require a larger tank size the mbunas. I am not that fimiliar with peacocks but you could keep the same species of labidochromis and get a good ratio between males and females or your can mix species. For species i recommoned..
Labidochromis caeruleus
Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
but a lot of others will work

fifefisher

Feeder Fish
Dec 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
BigTim15;2595745; said:
A lot of people generally do not mix between the peacocks and mbuna becuase the mbuna are a lot more aggressive. Your set up looks ok becuase the labidiochromis are usually a lesser aggressive mbuna. Another reason people dont mix is becuase peacocks require a larger tank size the mbunas. I am not that fimiliar with peacocks but you could keep the same species of labidochromis and get a good ratio between males and females or your can mix species. For species i recommoned..
Labidochromis caeruleus
Labidochromis sp. "Hongi"
but a lot of others will work
Thanks for your reply, Labidochromis caeruleus was one of the fish i was thinking of, not knowing to much about cichlids yet do you think i could get an attractive mix of Labidochromis species?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store