Unidentified species v. Yepezi

6 bar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Antelope Valley
I was surfing the web for Yepezi stingrays and found these images on a german web page showing images of many rays including the Yepezi (scroll down to the rochen section where it shows rays) http://images.google.com/imgres?img...rygon+yepezi&start=40&ndsp=20&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

Here's a pic of the yepezi:

On the same page I found this pic of a Wild Found Brazil Sp, which is still not named:

I think the 2 species look similar but it appears that Yepezi has a darker brown base color and a very clear dark pattern, while the WF Brazil sp, seems lighter brown and with fainter patterning.

Are these species one in the same? The reason I ask is because I think my ray looks more like the unidentified species and I've seen other ray keepers in this forum that have rays that look similar.

Big Daves Rays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Seattle WA
I think they are one in the same. I don't think I'd separate species by a variation in disk color. Look at motoro's, histrix, castexi etc. They are all the same species but have darker and lighter colors between rays.

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Neither are Yepezi. I've never seen one imported for that matter. The true Yepezi are from the Maracaibo Basin in Venezuela. The two you posted (I cant see the link caue Im at work) are P. humerosa/orbygini IMO.

stingray man

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2007
chicago
They are just common brown rays sold as yepezi falsley

6 bar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Antelope Valley
Thank you for your feedback. So, is there a classified scientific name for these common brown rays? Whatever the case may be, a rose is still a rose by any other name. I really love this ray. It's currently 6-7" disc size and devouring nightcrawlers. I've had him for 2 months now. It doesn't seem to be very piscivorous. I do not believe it has the teeth of a motoro. Anyone else have one of these brown sp. and care to describe what they are feeding it? I'm gonna try and starve it for a couple of days and see if it will eat some market prawn. It currently just swims right over the prawns nibbling for a second and then moves on.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Are you cutting the prawns into smale 1/4 inch pieces. If not try that. Like you said
a ray is a ray. Some are prettier than others some bigger, but I like them all.

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Hi,
I have the same specie. Yes, he is much harder in food than my Motoro's. I feed him mostly bloodworms. Few weeks ago he started eating tiger shrimps, and I have to cut them for him to eat (unlike the Motoro's).
He is very unique in his behavior - he may swim upside down for many many minutes, spitting water up, looking for bloodworms floating.
I have him for over than a year and he is one of my favorites thanks to his special behavior.

6 bar

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2007
Antelope Valley
Hey Avishay,

Thanks for what you shared. So did you cut the shrimp into 1/4 inch sizes? How big is you ray now? A pic would be awesome too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store