Death of Horatio the fish that started it all

Can anyone relate in there own experience?

• Yes

Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Poptarts356

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
Pine Island, MN
Horatio is the name of my needle nose gar (not a real gar) i have had him for 2 years now. i had always wanted a fish tank but had never gotten one as a child due to the fact my parents though i wouldnt be able to care for a fish tank which was probably true. But as junior year comes to an end (of high school) i found myself walking down to THE EXOTIC FISH STORE which is right next to where i worked at the time (HY-VEE). i was looking for piranhas because that is what all kids seem to want thinking they are going to tare fish up and be very exciting. they didnt have any but i was walking around the store and found one mislabeled needle fish and thought it was really cool. so i buy the fish bring him home and put him in a 30 gallon fish tank which he quickly out grows then into the 60 gallon for most of his life. and then i put him into a new 150 gallon tank. i was thilled i thought he would be so happy in that tank and im tellin ya i was excited. i mean i did have other tank mates as well but Horatio was my first fish so he was my number one if you know what i mean. so i go out and hang with my friends for awhile and come home around 4am and there he is lying lifeless on the floor, covered in dust, and stiff as a board. he must have jumped out because i didnt have the entire top covered. it is a sad day. anyone els ever feel that way/ have a similar experience?

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
first fish i owned was a peacock eel. 12 hours after i bought him i was back to the store. he jumped out of a inch whole. Now all my tanks are eel proofed even if they dont have a eel in them. i feel for ya man.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
None of my favorites have died, but my giant danios love committing suicide if there is a gap in the lid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store