Other fish in african lakes...

sainthitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
canada
Assume you have a tank ranging from 125 to 600gallons....is there any other fish that are interesting from the lakes that would go well with the cichlids? Im just trying to decide...if i make this 600g in the basement, and i go full afrian biotope...is there other schooling fish or species and what there requirements are. I want to get it right the first time. I say 125 only because that is what i currently have and if i have to grow the other fish to be able to live with the cichlids.

Thanks for the help guys.

sainthitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
canada
well im not saying i would need anything else, i wa just curious if there were other fish that were interesing from the african lakes. Make it into a full biotope. Maybe large schools of tetras for instance( i know they would get eaten, just an example) but other interesting fish if im moving to a 600 gallon. I want to make sure i build this tank so it will suit all the fish in the tank as well as my personal tastes of course.

BigTim15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2008
East Coast
I am not sure but i remember seeing somthing from Malawi that was called a dolphin fish or somthing?? I saw it on planet earth and they get huge...Sorry, I know it isnt what you are loooking for but just thought i should add it in

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
BigTim15;2601928; said:
I am not sure but i remember seeing somthing from Malawi that was called a dolphin fish or somthing?? I saw it on planet earth and they get huge...Sorry, I know it isnt what you are loooking for but just thought i should add it in
Those are large predatory fish that use electrical pulses to find its prey (peacock, haps, Mbunas) like Knife fish.

sainthitch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
canada
thanks for the help guys...i will look up more about the lakes. I just thought it mightbe cool to recreate an african lake in its ull entity...with the main fish being the cichilds.

tezr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2007
Austin TX
www.rivercityaquatics.com
The Congo Dolphins (mormyrops kanume) have very small mouths and feed mostly on small worms and such are are no threat to your fish. I know they are found in Lake Victoria not sure about the other Rift Lakes.

Lamprichthys tanganicanus is a schooling Killiefish.

Lots of Synodontis catfish.

mr_cool_guy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2008
Florida
BigTim15;2601928; said:
I am not sure but i remember seeing somthing from Malawi that was called a dolphin fish or somthing?? I saw it on planet earth and they get huge
what a great show, very good camera shots. that episode was on lakes and rivers or somthing.

tezr;2602552; said:
Lots of Synodontis catfish.
yep syndos, there your best bet, and there are different types to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store