Need advice on adding a florida gar

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
I have a 4' 120g (4x2x2) with 2 endlicheri (about 12"), 1 wild oscar (about 9") and a male con. BB with driftwood. I have the opportunity to pick up a 12" florida gar. My worry is that my O is an SOB. He is a nasty guy for his size. Think I could successfully add the gar? Any suggestions on what or how to do it so everyone comes out relatively unscathed?
Filtration is ac110, c360, emperor 400. Temp 79. wc's 30% 3x a week.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
hey ms, nice to see you in a different forum than just the inverts. with that aside, no dont do it. The oscar could easily out eat and out fight the gar. there is a very high chance the gar would die very quickly. I highly suggest against it my friend.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
hmmm...maybe i should kick the O to a 75g I have empty and then it would just be the polys and the gar. Would that work? I don't want to get something irresponsibly, but gotta say, LOVE the gars and want to see if I can make my setups work.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
is the con a convict chiclid? if so then ditch it too. gar in that tank would work for a pretty long time. very long in fact.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
Yes, its a convict. I would move it with the O or I have another home lined up for it. Thanks for all the input.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
good luck with it, hope all turns out good.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
Its a tough decision! I wanted one from the get go and the opportunity has arisen, however I don't know that I have done enough research. Do you have any outstanding links (I read the stickies) on gar care that you could share with me?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store