How to start a fish store?

Benfica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2008
Ontario
I am really interested in starting a fish store. I want to take my hobby to the next thing and it would be some thing tha ti would really be interested in! Can someone tell me some of the basics i would need. Like how much capital would be good. Steps on how to start it up. I already know about the buisness part registrating your name and things like that. How much money would i start seeing after a while i have found a good location plent of traffic and is cheap and affordible. But i just want to know like heating,lighting,livestock, and stuff like that since builiding expenses vary. I am from Canada if that helps. Thanks hopefully i get some good information! Oh ya if anyone could step through wha ti would need. And would i buy my fish over seas? Like wholesale.

Thanks!!!!

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
there are others threads here in reference to a similar question...try the search function

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
i'd love to help you out, but thats alot of information for us to search for you. no offense, but it requires tons of research. im in the US and im sure alot of us are, but your in ontario-prices are different, theres alot of demographic research, and laws on how to start a business may differ from the US. the only thing we can say is to research on how to start a business first, then search for lfs' in your area. you'll need to gather pricing and have lots of knowledge of the aquarium hobby trade...

HarpoGarza

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
If you want to make a million dollars in the fish business, start out with 10 million.

Jorge Regula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Florida
HarpoGarza;2608218; said:
If you want to make a million dollars in the fish business, start out with 10 million.
this is the total truth. do not expect to make a lot of money, no matter what/how good your plan is. its a tough tough business.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
well...im 13 here so this aint from 1st hand...
dont have a store full of Shovelnose Catfish, Arows, Arapaimas, etc etc
The average person will stick it in a 30g and say "im a monster fish keeper!"
Id say dont stock big fish until...IDK...5 people who can accommodate them have asked about it.
Also dont sell fish to unqualified people. Someone with a 10 gallon is not qualified to own a Goonch, so basically stay away from anything that gets over a foot. Dont sell illegal fish. Dont sell Betas in bowls (Carry only female Betas?) and dont sell Goldfish unless theyre goin in at least a 30g. Most ppl will want Goldfish, but substitute with smaller Cyprinids like Rosy Red Minnows and Gold White Clouds.
Good Luck!!:headbang2

CDickes1988

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 4, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Bottomfeeder;2608328; said:
well...im 13 here so this aint from 1st hand...
dont have a store full of Shovelnose Catfish, Arows, Arapaimas, etc etc
The average person will stick it in a 30g and say "im a monster fish keeper!"
Id say dont stock big fish until...IDK...5 people who can accommodate them have asked about it.
Also dont sell fish to unqualified people. Someone with a 10 gallon is not qualified to own a Goonch, so basically stay away from anything that gets over a foot. Dont sell illegal fish. Dont sell Betas in bowls (Carry only female Betas?) and dont sell Goldfish unless theyre goin in at least a 30g. Most ppl will want Goldfish, but substitute with smaller Cyprinids like Rosy Red Minnows and Gold White Clouds.
Good Luck!!:headbang2
So in other words, cut your sales by like 85%. It sucks, but the truth is LFS make alot of their money by selling fish to people who have no idea what their requirements are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store