Florida Barracuda at LFS

Mumtron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2008
GHOSTING
i went to my favorite LFS today and saw that they had just picked up a barracuda. i asked them what kind of barracuda it was and they said it was a Florida Barracuda. It looked like a massive barracuda w/ teeth just pint sized. I didn't know people could house barracudas in tanks. it was about 4" to 5". It was the coolest thing i've ever seen. i told them to put it on hold for me until tomorrow. stoked. :naughty:

famous323

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2008
LONG BEACH, CA
Mumtron;2606201; said:
i went to my favorite LFS today and saw that they had just picked up a barracuda. i asked them what kind of barracuda it was and they said it was a Florida Barracuda. It looked like a massive barracuda w/ teeth just pint sized. I didn't know people could house barracudas in tanks. it was about 4" to 5". It was the coolest thing i've ever seen. i told them to put it on hold for me until tomorrow. stoked. :naughty:
sounds like a florida spotted gar

Mumtron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2008
GHOSTING
famous323;2606203; said:
sounds like a florida spotted gar
haha. no....it's a saltwater fish. looked like this.
http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/images/Barracuda2006SRogerson1.jpg

but 4 to 5". i have a feeling it's not going to do well in a tank since it was probably wild caught but i'm willing to give it a try since they rarely pick them up. 2 of the workers snatched one each and i was lucky enough to be the first person to put the 3rd one on hold

http://www.divemagazine.co.uk/news/images/Barracuda2006SRogerson1.jpg

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
How big is your tank?

Mumtron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2008
GHOSTING
Otto_VonBacon;2606243; said:
How big is your tank?
My saltwater FOWLR tank is 180 gallons. if it acclimates fine and survives it'll eventually outgrow my tank probably. Until that happens i'm going to have lots of fun. I just hope the barracuda doesn't have any diseases since it looked very stressed at the LFS.

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
The scientific name for that Barracuda is "Sphyraena Sphyraena" (the great Barracuda). I searched for many decades to find one of those for sale in the UK, and finaly was able to obtain a pair.
Unfortunately, they was both destroyed in an instant by my "Plectropomus Maculatus" Grouper. So I must continue searching, but this time for larger specimens. Idealy I would like the Yellow fin "Sphyraena Flavicauda"
You are very lucky to find that fish, I wish you luck.

Stingray12

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2007
Saranac Lake, NY
predator 1 , u could probably find that fish on places online, I have seen them.

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
Thanks for that Stingray. I have spoken to exporters from the four corners of the globe. And they all seem reluctant to help me because the "Sphyraena" speciese have a terrible survival rate during shipping. My guess is it must be because the Barracuda are "Pelagic" therefore destroying themselves through being confined to a small dark container.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store