my aligator gar was killed by 2 small striped leporinus

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Why did you just watch? Gar are not a fish known for defending themselves. You should have known when to break it up to prevent this.

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
me and my gf were out at the store getting an arowana, when we got home i saw one pick at his gills and then i removed the 2 leporinus right away but my gar was dead 3 or 4 minutes later

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
How big is the Gar and Leporinus?

simmo21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
SOUTH AUSTRALIA
i have a friend that has an alligator gar he went to bed and woke up to a messed up gar the sailfin pleco nearly killed it over night alligator gars are not an aggressive fish all he has with it now is neons and tiger barbs and it doesnt even waste his time with them.

lordofthejewsjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
thats a good question
simmo21;2609467; said:
i have a friend that has an alligator gar he went to bed and woke up to a messed up gar the sailfin pleco nearly killed it over night alligator gars are not an aggressive fish all he has with it now is neons and tiger barbs and it doesnt even waste his time with them.
darn pleco's:swear:

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
simmo21;2609467; said:

Alligator gar are very aggressive, but they are not necessarily a defensive fish...I'm sure if your friends fish is in fact a Gator gar...the tankmates will get eaten soon.

Plecos are generally a very bad tankmate for any gar species...they often times feed off of the slime one the gar.

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
gators are aggressive fish...but not defensive at all...
when theyre attacked they tend to run for it...which in a tank,it cannot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store