Rosetta Stone?

hamato_yoshii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Earth (temporarily)
Does anybody know anything about the Rosetta Stone language learning software? I have talked to a rep about it, but it seems rather expensive. Then from looking online, I've seen a DVD that says it's the "Ultimate Edition" that has 27 languages. I'm pretty confident that it doesn't have the ability to teach 27 languages on one DVD, but at the same time, I'm not sure exactly what it does do either.
Has anyone used Rosetta Stone, or do you know if it works? Also, if there are better options for learning languages?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
We use it in conjunction with our English Language Program here at school. Seems to help, not sure how effective it is thou, never personally used it...

DucatiDragster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Bay Area
My dad had used Rosetta Stone to learn Pastho. He completed 2 levels and pretty much got it in 3 months. I'd recommend it, Rosetta has a nice layout of their learning program. Soon I'll be getting the Dutch version of it. :)

mendicu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2008
USA
Expensive for legal copies. Your old friend with 27 languages but more than likely requires a double layer dvd. If one follows the whole program and practices as well it is a great tool. I like that you can use it to analyze your voice for pronunciation/accent.

solchitlins

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Milford, MI 48381
I looked for these at the public library. No luck.

Why do I pay all these taxes again?
Seriously, they have a $200 picture book on Japanese hand bags but can't buy anything usefull.

I know about the dumb purse book because my Girlfriend checked it out and lost it, now I owe them $200 to replace it. Guess I won't be using the library again.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I went to a presentation on Rosetta Stone and I really liked the program. While nothing can actually replace practicing a language with native speakers, it is a great way to start learning a language.

hamato_yoshii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Earth (temporarily)
solchitlins;2611733; said:

Seriously, they have a $200 picture book on Japanese hand bags but can't buy anything usefull.

I know about the dumb purse book because my Girlfriend checked it out and lost it, now I owe them $200 to replace it. Guess I won't be using the library again.

:nilly:

hamato_yoshii

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Earth (temporarily)
Dan Feller;2611786; said:
I went to a presentation on Rosetta Stone and I really liked the program. While nothing can actually replace practicing a language with native speakers, it is a great way to start learning a language.

Thats what it seems like, but the price is pretty high. I'm not sure if thats just what I'm going to have to deal with, or if there is a better way to start learning a language.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
solchitlins;2611733; said:

:ROFL::ROFL:Here in this city,our illustrious mayor is about to close down eight of ours.I have been looking into the discs also,the price has slowed me down but I dont have time to go to language classes so I may be getting them soon.

Kobeclone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2007
Kansas
Listen here grasshopper, oh I mean Yoshii...:ROFL:

Ok, seriously, enough with the grasshopper line.

But in our school's gifted and talented program, which I am in, we use Rosetta Stone to "compact" foreign language classes- basically take a class that takes a normal student 1 year to complete in a 9 weeks or a semester. I have not personally compacted a foreign language class using Rosetta Stone, but fellow g/t students seem to LOVE it. Plus, if the tight arse school district is going to shell out big bucks out of their pint sized budget for it, it has to be good. Oh, and don't forget, Michael Phelps uses it, so you can't go wrong.:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store