african cichlid help

its_an_obsession

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
New Jersey
ok i dont know much about african cichlids. altho the gf has some and is having some problems. shes got 5 malawi cichlids. i dont know which ones exactly buts its the typical ones that u see in the "assorted malawi cichli tanks". she got a 20 gallon tank and they are all about 3-5.5 inches.

ones looking alittle roughed up and has some tail damage. my thought is that its to small of tank. ive heard of the overstocking african tanks but something tells me the 5 fish in only 20 gallons they have established a pecking order. ill take any suggestions on this?

dont have any water parameters yet.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
so the fish are 3 1/2 to five inches? that tank is way too small. does she plan on upgrading? a 55 gallon would be nice.. what kind of africans does she have?

tank size can also cause aggression problems.

its_an_obsession

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
New Jersey
edit 3-3.5 inches. and i lied 6 fish. i cant type. i thought she was gonna upgrade but now it might seem like no. let me see if i can dig up what she has.
bumblebee cichlid-Pseudotropheus crabro
yellow lab- Labidochromis caeruleus
red zebra- Metriaclima estherae
Melanochromis auratus

to tough to find the others.
its the purple and blueish striped one. if that helps.
and no clue on the last

big question is is this just a disaster waiting to happen?

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
its_an_obsession;2611740; said:
edit 3-3.5 inches. and i lied 6 fish. i cant type. i thought she was gonna upgrade but now it might seem like no. let me see if i can dig up what she has.
bumblebee cichlid-Pseudotropheus crabro Get Way too big for a 20. One of the largest Mbuna. Mean as well

yellow lab- Labidochromis caeruleus
red zebra- Metriaclima estherae
Melanochromis auratus- way too mean for a 20 gallon tank

to tough to find the others.
its the purple and blueish striped one. if that helps.
and no clue on the last

big question is is this just a disaster waiting to happen?
You have way too many fish for a tank that size. I would not recommend any Mbuna for a 20. The others not comment in red will be too big for a 20 as well. Either upgrade or switch to some shellies or smaller tangs for that size tank. It is the best way to go. Hope that helps some.

its_an_obsession

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
New Jersey
ok thanx alot. my guess is downsizing the number of fish she has isnt gonna help? is theis correct or is there a chance 2-3 would be fine? i wanna say know but i dont know africans at all. sorry for the rookie questions.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
No trouble, will most likely no work. Again she can do some shellies in that tank just fine, and they are pretty cool to watch. Get some sand and shells and let them have at it!

junglej

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2007
appleton,wi
yeah - Way too small even for two of those fish, shellies are great for small tanks and have quite the personalities, tell your g/f to at least check them out. occies, multies, brevis, and others to chose from you really cant go wrong. i have a colony of multies that are high on my list of favorites.

Pittbull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Louisville Kentucky
Hey your not entirely too far from Atlantis in new york they have assorted Tanganyika Shellies for sell.

I have just 6 Neolamprologus Ocellatus in a 20gal high great size for shell dwellers.. as for mbuna sorry buddy but will not work unless you have just one fish and honest that would be cruel in my book for a colony type fish to be alone for its life..

Those crabro's are just down right nasty mbuna and love to shred fins and flesh..

Good luck..

its_an_obsession

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
New Jersey
thanx for all the info. no comes the tough part of telling her buy a bigger tank or get rid of your fish.

its_an_obsession

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2008
New Jersey
ok so ive been lioooking into the shellies and some other tanganyikan cichlids. so it looks like the genus lamprologus is the shellies. i also looked through a couple other genuses found there and saw the julidochromis and neolamprologus. would these fish work at all in a 20g with shellies. whats all there compatibility?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store