Searching for a gatore!

mb614859

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Ohio
I live in ohio and was just wondering if anyone could offer any help or advice on obtaining an alligator gar.

thanks.

jworth

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Indianapolis
i really hope you have long term plans in mind and know the responsibility of keeping these monsters. but i dont know where you can get them from. . . texas is the only place i know to look.

mb614859

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
Ohio
I have a 200 gal. tank set up and in the process of building a much larger one. Fully aware of the responsibility just have not been able to find one. any advice would help. thanks.

ViperCLKGTR

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
Just keep looking or ask your LFS to order one for you

I looked for 6 months till I found my young pup yesterday, not in great condition but i'll nurse him to be the baddest Gator around

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
These fish are not available year round they are seasonal and availability depends on if production occurs or not. This year apparently sucks for the asian winter batch so your Poop out of luck. Wait till spring and some may become available either asian or domestic. Winter really is not the time to find these fish commercially normally. Some asian fish show up here and there but it is not the season to look. Lots of Flordia / spotteds are around right now though. As usual...

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Polypterus;2624574; said:
These fish are not available year round they are seasonal and availability depends on if production occurs or not. This year apparently sucks for the asian winter batch so your Poop out of luck. Wait till spring and some may become available either asian or domestic. Winter really is not the time to find these fish commercially normally. Some asian fish show up here and there but it is not the season to look. Lots of Flordia / spotteds are around right now though. As usual...
Wow, do you mean that you guys import gators from Asia?:eek::eek::eek:? which country?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
ctoychik;2624740; said:
Wow, do you mean that you guys import gators from Asia?:eek::eek::eek:? which country?
That has been hard to determine, Thailand and Malaysia are suspected main sources. There are farms that produce them elsewhere at times also. Most Gators these days found in the US are Asian fish and not domestically produced. Most of the Florida / spotted are the same. they are not being domestically produced but imported from asian farms. There are still a few suppliers stateside that have known Floridas and longnosed but these are getting rare. Shorts and spotteds have become impossible to get these days commercially.

Spotteds really do seem to be missing from the hobby these days. More likely to find a Shortnosed which are also very rare.

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Polypterus;2625001; said:
That has been hard to determine, Thailand and Malaysia are suspected main sources. There are farms that produce them elsewhere at times also. Most Gators these days found in the US are Asian fish and not domestically produced. Most of the Florida / spotted are the same. they are not being domestically produced but imported from asian farms. There are still a few suppliers stateside that have known Floridas and longnosed but these are getting rare. Shorts and spotteds have become impossible to get these days commercially.

Spotteds really do seem to be missing from the hobby these days. More likely to find a Shortnosed which are also very rare.
It is ironic really. when i was looking for a gator (and i did research) i was so afraid that i will get a smaller version gar (the L variety) ... heheheh all three of my gars are gators for sure now. I have seen a first ever florida gar down south in my GF's relative's house, which indicates that these are also available in Asia ...though i am not really looking to get them.... after keeping (and still keeping) three gars i find them quite unremarkable in as far as in the large set-up large gars are really lazy and not going after food etc (the third small gar is an exception)....when my first gator was in the 6' aquarium it was really active and chasing food at all that - now he just cruises the tank by himself - though always comes to check me out when i am around the tank ^^

vicdeedee

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2009
toronto
call dragon aquarium in toronto (905) 897- 8391 they always have some and will ship im sure, i was in there about a week ago they still have a real nice 24-28incher for $114

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store