Frontosas and American Cichlids

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
G'day guys.

I have a 55gal being prepped now for fish holding, and i'm making new ideas for tank stock. I made a comment to a friend about frontosas and he asked me if Frontosas and Ca Sa Cichlids would be okay together. I don't know, but the suggestion was good, that tank would look hella awesome. So my question is, will Frontosas and Sa Ca cichlids get along?

Thanks.

Pittbull

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Louisville Kentucky
Frontosa are nice fish and get pretty big in all but when it comes down to it SA and some of your CA will beat the snot out of a front i wouldnt mix the two just due to the fact that Front's need harder water than SA do..

The water chemistry is the main issue.. aggression would be second..
take care buddy..

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
if you wanna enjoy fronts then keep a colony. they're are best kept with other of own kind. even mbunas and haps can stress them out. they're shy and are not able to compete with faster fish from other lakes for food, etc. so CA/SA are a strong NO.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Although mine has been fine in a CA setup, I would not recommend it.

halfmoon_bay

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
Oakdale
almost anything will probably work but only for awhile... you have to consider water chemistry and aggression... u can try it, if it fails then u will know...good luck

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
I'd rather not then. My tank has to have CA SA cichlids, so fronts get the boot. Thanks for clearing that up for me :thumbsup:

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
they can be with large peaceful fish like large geos, and things like baysnook...but not with more aggressive species

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Cichlaholics Anonymous;2626803; said:
they can be with large peaceful fish like large geos, and things like baysnook...but not with more aggressive species

You'd be surprised:naughty:

Again I would not recommend keeping frronts with SA/CA cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store